Which universal remote?
mattchapman Wrote:Can you confirm exactly which receiver is supposed to eliminate lag?

Thanks

First post in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=receiver
Also, look at this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=748...stcount=53

Not all HP receivers work the same.
mattchapman Wrote:Requirements:
- Must control XBMC (running Win 7 x64). I already have eHome receiver which came with my MediaGate IR-02
- Must control Comcast cable box
- Must control Samsung LCD TV
- Must control Onkyo receiver
- Needs to be snappy (no lag issues)
- Wife friendly!

I'm guessing I should go Logitech Harmony but not sure which one.

Thanks!

Which Comcast remote do you have currently? Also would you like it to be able to control the XBMC box (do you like the layout of the arrow/play keys etc.)?

The newer Comcast remotes are very capable controlling pretty much anything, being JP1.
live4ever Wrote:Which Comcast remote do you have currently? Also would you like it to be able to control the XBMC box (do you like the layout of the arrow/play keys etc.)?

The newer Comcast remotes are very capable controlling pretty much anything, being JP1.

That's the Comcast remote I have. Are you saying you can have that control XBMC?
dtviewer Wrote:First post in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=receiver

I have one of these receivers, i.e. the same part number, and it lags with my Harmony 300i. I am unconvinced by claims of HP receivers with zero lag.

@mattchapman: when I was testing my Harmony I used Notepad. I repeatedly pressed a number button 20 times as fast as I could and timed how long it took for all 20 characters to appear in Notepad. With the MS receiver it took about 10 seconds i.e. a 500ms response time. With the ORtek receiver it took about 6 seconds i.e. a 300ms response time.

You mention you've found comments that 300ms is the fastest a Harmony can respond, which tallies with my results.

I found the 300ms response of the ORtek receiver is generally OK. If I'm stepping down a list I occasionally notice it isn't keeping up with my button presses, but normally i just keep the button down and let it auto repeat, and there's no delay on the auto repeat. On the whole I'm happy with the Harmony, though I guess how much the response annoys you is down to personal preference.

JR
mattchapman Wrote:Looks hideous.

I think it looks OK, reminds of a video game controller. It doesn't have a fancy screen (that nobody actually needs).
But what IS imortant is that it can controll everything.And by saying everything I mean EVERYTHING that you have. That is PS3/Xbox, HTPC, TV, DVD etc etc etc.
Everything from just 1 remote. I like the idea of having ONE ok looking remote much better than having 2+ (oh and thats not including keyboard/mouse for htpc), where 1 looks gorgeous and another one is just bland, but you can't be without it.

Come on, it's just a remote, whos main function is to be UNIVERSAL.
mattchapman Wrote:That's the Comcast remote I have. Are you saying you can have that control XBMC?

LOL!!! And you're saying that Bridge is hideous?! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I'd rather have Bridge than THAT.
live4ever Wrote:Which Comcast remote do you have currently? Also would you like it to be able to control the XBMC box (do you like the layout of the arrow/play keys etc.)?

You cant say ANYTHING with this average remote control (that looks like a cheap chinese remote). What about keyboard/mouse? PS3/Xbox? Switch between all of them with this remote? No? So it's just TV/Cable+XBMC (maybe)
jhsrennie Wrote:I have one of these receivers, i.e. the same part number, and it lags with my Harmony 300i. I am unconvinced by claims of HP receivers with zero lag.

@mattchapman: when I was testing my Harmony I used Notepad. I repeatedly pressed a number button 20 times as fast as I could and timed how long it took for all 20 characters to appear in Notepad. With the MS receiver it took about 10 seconds i.e. a 500ms response time. With the ORtek receiver it took about 6 seconds i.e. a 300ms response time.

You mention you've found comments that 300ms is the fastest a Harmony can respond, which tallies with my results.

I found the 300ms response of the ORtek receiver is generally OK. If I'm stepping down a list I occasionally notice it isn't keeping up with my button presses, but normally i just keep the button down and let it auto repeat, and there's no delay on the auto repeat. On the whole I'm happy with the Harmony, though I guess how much the response annoys you is down to personal preference.

JR

Thanks - After reading the Logitech support forums it's clear that the Harmony does have a 300ms limitation which has many users irate.
I can deal with it. It's not the true snappy performance I was hoping for and I've come accustomed to the lightening fast response of my original MCE remote but the Harmony seems to be the only thing close to controlling all of my devices with Activity macros, etc.
You can try programming the AUX on your Comcast remote to one of the Microsoft codes here:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcaston...Button.pdf

20522, 21708, 21972

To see how it works with button response times.

There are other things you could do like always have the volume buttons "punch-through" to always control the amp volume no matter the input selected. Also the Comcast remote is capable of macros similar to the Harmony.
live4ever Wrote:You can try programming the AUX on your Comcast remote to one of the Microsoft codes here:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcaston...Button.pdf

20522, 21708, 21972

To see how it works with button response times.

There are other things you could do like always have the volume buttons "punch-through" to always control the amp volume no matter the input selected. Also the Comcast remote is capable of macros similar to the Harmony.

Interesting - but I need it to control at least 4 devices.
I think I'll stick with the sub-optimal Harmony. It's not the snappiest performer but it has most everything else going for it.
It is a 4-device remote but the 4th "phantom" device is only accessible if you use a JP1 cable.
have you looked into a tablet pc and if you need ir as well there are many usb ir which are small hardly .

150 seems like alot for a simple remote
taalas Wrote:I know this will probably get all Harmony users angry but I have had Harmony's and wasn't very happy with them. Especially the fact that you have to program them using Logitech's crappy web-interfaced-desktop-program-which-takes-100-clicks-to-do-simple-reordering ruined them for me. I am now using one of Philips' Prestigo remotes (with hardware and software buttons) and I wouldn't want to go back.

Hi Taalas and everybody else who has a Prestigo. Smile

how did you set up your Prestigo? I have a Prestigo SRT 8215 and a HTPC with XBMC Live. I already bought a IR for the computer which is recognized by the HTPC but I have no remote control where my Prestigo could learn the buttons. So I don't know how to set up my Prestigo without a remote control.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which universal remote?0