[ATV3] new model
darkscout Wrote:The CPU doesn't do any of the video decoding at those resolutions, it's all handed off to another chip. It WOULD make the interface faster.

It would help since the A5 is a "system on a chip" and has a built in GPU. The current A4 does too but the new GPU is 7 times more powerful than the one on the A4. It makes sense since the iPhone4 (A4) only does 720p video and the new 4s(A5) does full 1080p
Faster is always better but personally the atv2 can handle my video needs... I'd like to see some better specs on an atv3 come at the same time as an ATV App Store so those iOS games will be easier to get onto a TV.

Ya Airplay Mirroring helps but I'm not ready for an iPhone 4S or iPad2 just yet.
Another sign that ATV3 is coming

http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/28/apples-nex...ore-114312
Don't think there's any debate on whether or not there'll be a new hardware version... the questions are what chip, 1080p support, full size tv, App Store?
As someone new to the XBMC world and Apple TV, I'm wondering whether the ATV is overall easier to jailbreak than the iphones/etc? What is the typical wait after a new model is released before we could install XBMC on a ATVx?
If the new atv 3 uses the a5 chip we may see a jailbreak sooner rather than later. If it is a6 which I don't think it is because they need those chips for the iPad, it will take substantially longer. If we can't get a jailbreak for it then the new apple tv is useless for purposes of xbmc. I'm looking forward to seeing the new features but without xbmc I doubt I would use it.
Sam Lowry Wrote:As someone new to the XBMC world and Apple TV, I'm wondering whether the ATV is overall easier to jailbreak than the iphones/etc? What is the typical wait after a new model is released before we could install XBMC on a ATVx?

I think they're nearly the same difficulty since they're all using more/less the same CPU and operating system. Typically the atv jailbreaks come out shortly after the iphone ones... likely because there's more people with iPhones... and once the iPhone with the same CPU is jailbroken usually the same exploit is used for the atv.

When the new jailbreaks come out varies... depends on Apple's speed at addressing exploits, whether or not new CPU or other hardware is present... etc. If the new "atv3" is released with significantly new hardware it could take a while before it's jailbroken.
I am longing for a new ATV3.

The current ATV2 does everything (720p is ok with me). But the problem is that ATV2 does not enough juice to play my HD OTA mythtv recordings!

If only ATV3 can play my HD OTA mythtv recordings I have a COMPLETE HTPC in my hands!

What I like about ATV3 is it just like an appliance - very quick to make it to sleep and wake up instantly - I hate booting O/S especially windows 7!

I hope apple comes with a more powerful ATV3
vskatusa Wrote:I am longing for a new ATV3.

The current ATV2 does everything (720p is ok with me). But the problem is that ATV2 does not enough juice to play my HD OTA mythtv recordings!

If only ATV3 can play my HD OTA mythtv recordings I have a COMPLETE HTPC in my hands!

What I like about ATV3 is it just like an appliance - very quick to make it to sleep and wake up instantly - I hate booting O/S especially windows 7!

I hope apple comes with a more powerful ATV3

It's very likely the new ATV will be more powerful - I'd be very surprised if it didn't at least have a dual core processor since both the latest iPhone and iPad do (although the iPod Touch doesn't).

Most of the rumors seem to be in agreement that the new ATV will be announced on March 7 so the wait will soon be over: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/28/appl...n-march-7/
No dual core... I am surprised. Pretty weak update overall... guess if you really want to watch 1080p content it's a good upgrade but for the rest of us there isn't much to warrant an atv2 to atv3 upgrade.
Yes, I agree. Also explains the pricing. Maybe it is their strategy to keep a market for itv. I guess performance wise the atv3 would be comparable to an ipad2.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

activate Wrote:Yes, I agree. Also explains the pricing. Maybe it is their strategy to keep a market for itv. I guess performance wise the atv3 would be comparable to an ipad2.

I think performance wise the ATV3 will be comparable to the ATV2 Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
jd2157 Wrote:No dual core... I am surprised. Pretty weak update overall... guess if you really want to watch 1080p content it's a good upgrade but for the rest of us there isn't much to warrant an atv2 to atv3 upgrade.
If the ATV3 can play 1080p content with a single core, why would apple include a dual core.

For us tweakers who intend to run xbmc, the single core is a limitation. However if not jailbreaking, there may be zero justification for an additional core.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV3] new model0