Need Advice on Build
Hey guys, I need to build a HTPC for my home theater which has a 60-inch HDTV. My Max budget is $550 and it needs to have a Blu-Ray Optical Drive. I also want it to be based on a Llano APU, or is there a better option? I will be using it mainly to playback 1080p content on XBMC and stream the web. I might use it for gaming a little. I need all components as I have no spares. The $550 MAX Budget INCLUDE SPEAKERS. I need some pretty good speakers for the movie room as well. Thanks
A bluray drive is going set you back $50-60 alone. A Windows 7 license another $100 or so, you may be cutting it real tight with the speakers and everytihng else.

Check out the stickies and I'm sure you can get something close. If it were me, I'd wait on the sound. You can deal with TV speaker sound for a little longer I presume.
redsoxboi21 Wrote:The $550 MAX Budget INCLUDE SPEAKERS

Eek

2.1 speakers bluray suggest are already $150...
this leaves $400 for your build....

i guess you can go with these then, windows O/S not included....

CPU/iGPU: AMD A6-3500 - $90
MOBO: ASRock A75M FM1 - $75
CASE: SilverStone ML03B - $60
PSU: SilverStone Strider 400W - $49
SSD: Patriot Torqx2 32GB - $45
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600Mhz DDR3 - $26
BLURAY: LG 12x BD-ROM/16x DVDRW - $50
SPEAKERS: Onkyo 2.1 Ultra-Compact HD - $150
TOTAL: $545

Smile
If I have an SSD, where will I put my movies? I don't have a server and don't have money for one atm. Would an External HD do?
to save cash on an ms license consider ripping the blu-rays into mkv's and playing them in xbmc-live.

i am running /live/ on a acer revo 3610 which cost me about $300 last year.
Not really in keeping with the forum, but it might help...

You could always consider a separate Blu-Ray player, might work out that your HTPC spec becomes a lot cheaper.

Regards speakers (this is my area of expertise), assuming you don't already have a receiver, seriously consider going second hand... decent Yamaha HDMI-capable amps for a reasonable sized room will cost about $100-150 on eBay, and then you can spend a tiny bit on some simple speakers now, or even beg/borrow spares from friends, and upgrade those later.

You really just need some tolerable bookshelf speakers and a decent subwoofer to begin with, I can't imagine spending more than $50 on the lot.

I'm using $110 Onkyo stereo (hifi) front speakers that I got for free, and they're OK but a bit tinny. If you can find some old floorstanders they will provide 10x the punch. And they look 100x cooler. I've got an Eltax active sub ($100 new in 2002) but you don't need one if you have floorstanders unless your room is enormous.

If you go for a separate centre speaker (advisable) this will chuck out the most sound from your movies. So needs to be the biggest expense. Side speakers in a 3.1 setup only produce music. Surrounds just mess with your head to make it sound like you're in the movie but in reality you only have 2 ears. A couple of tiny satellites would do the trick.

redsoxboi21 Wrote:If I have an SSD, where will I put my movies? I don't have a server and don't have money for one atm. Would an External HD do?
Yes. USB2-SATA caddies about $40 on eBay although at the moment there's a major hard drive shortage - so check Amazon for external drives, and be quick about it!
here is a complete xbmc system (windows 7 64-bit included), and it'll require very little effort and time to get it running too:

1. htpc: Gateway SX2370-UR30P- $400
2. bd-rom: LG Black 12X BD-ROM - $50
3. surround sound (supports dts-hd/truehd): Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System- $150

it's right at the top of your budget with dvd-rom option ($550 total). if you preferred bd-rom, you have to spend another $50 ($600 total). i don't think that you can beat this deal anywhere; unless you go with the less powerful htpc. i think that you'll be very happy with a6-3600 performance!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
the gate way is not bad but, its going to be noisy,
cheap fans in there, cheap noisy PSU, no SSD...
i dunno,,,,
i prefer the build on post #3...
at least u know what your getting,,,
eskro Wrote:the gate way is not bad but, its going to be noisy,
cheap fans in there
the silent fan is less than $10, and it's the easiest thing to replace too. i think that he'll be fine with the standard package.

eskro Wrote:cheap noisy PSU, no SSD...
we don't know that, and no ssd is no problem for xbmc htpc. my old e7200 with old hard drive playback xbmc flawless.

eskro Wrote:i dunno,,,,
i prefer the build on post #3...
at least u know what your getting,,,
for $550 max price tag, #3 cannot be done!
bluray Wrote:the silent fan is less than $10, and it's the easiest thing to replace too. i think that he'll be fine with the standard package.

we don't know that, and no ssd is no problem for xbmc htpc. my old e7200 with old hard drive playback xbmc flawless.

for $550 max price tag, #3 cannot be done!

its only missing win7
eskro Wrote:its only missing win7
it'll be the most expensive item to add to the list!
depends Tongue
I think I forgot to mention this. Haha I HAVE a Windows 7 installation disc. I don't need to buy one.
if u can use the serial, your good!
redsoxboi21 Wrote:I think I forgot to mention this. Haha I HAVE a Windows 7 installation disc. I don't need to buy one.
haha! since you have gaming in mind, this might be the most powerful a6-3650:

1. Case/PSU: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum and Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D- $107
2. APU+MOBO: ASUS F1A75-M and AMD Quad-Core A6-3650 2.6GHz - $180
3. Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB)- $22
4. SSD: Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB- $45
5. BD-ROM: LG Black 12X BD-ROM- $50
6. Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System

total- $554

if you want the easiest route, the very small form factor gateway pc might be your best choice!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Advice on Build0