Ubuntu 11.10 and HDMI with a Yamaha Receiver
Noobie here, I have searched, but couldn't find a topic which seemed to match my problem.

I have just installed Ubuntu 11.10 onto a Zotac ZBOX. It's the AMD chipset with a Radeon HD 6310 GPU. I also have a Yamaha RX-V371 receiver. I have a single HDMI cable from the ZBox to the receiver, and another from the receiver to my Samsung television.

I have spent some time configuring Ubuntu, and now have all audio and video working as expected, including the ability to play encrypted DVDs within VLC. Sound and picture quality are absolutely fine and the receiver is doing its job distributing 5.1 sound to my speakers.

So, then I installed XBMC (the whole point of the exercise), and can play my digital music although I must say I find the XBMC interface confusing in that regard, but perhaps it's the skin (simplicity) which I find problematic.

Now, for the problem. Any attempt to play a DVD results in a message at the bottom right hand corner of the screen indicating "Failure to initialize sound.." I've read tons of postings on this forum about this issue, but I'm absolutely none the wiser for doing so.

I guess I don't understand how it's possible for XBMC to initialize the sound system for digital music, but not for DVD sound.

Is there any good resource that I can read which explains all this - including unfamiliar terms like "pass through sound".

I appreciate your help-.
And now for an update.

I changed some of the Audio output settings and suddenly, this problem disappears.
Know, if I had only been a bit more clever, and payed attention to the original setting, I would be able to report what the problem was.
probably you had the wrong audio device selected. Nice you got it working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 11.10 and HDMI with a Yamaha Receiver0