Streaming Library to other Machines
I built an HTPC last week, and started using XBMC on Windows 7 on this machine (sitting in the living room plugged into the HDTV). Myself and my roomates would like to be able to basically be able to stream all of the content running on this machine on our computers/phones though.

It wouldn't be a problem just to do clean installs of XBMC on each machine, then setup the Source's pointing to Network Shares on the Primary HTPC. However, I would like to keep them in sync, so it looks the same as the Primary HTPC (same skin, same addons, etc).

What is the best way for me to deploy XBMC on other machines, and Synchronize them with the Primary? I will be setting up the MySQL Powered Synchronization from Lifehacker tonight, but just wanted to get a better idea first.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

Based on the lifehacker guide (and others) and updated for the upcoming XBMC v11 (Eden).
I apologize, I think I was a little unclear. I mean sync as far as the addons/skins/etc go. My roomates are getting familiar with how I have the main install setup, so I would like to just deploy it in the same way to other machines for them.

Are profiles what I am looking for? Will this carry over settings/addons/etc? Basically keeping the installs I deploy in other rooms the exact same as the primary setup?
You can do that with Windows Symlinks! Not MySQL

Create a folder on your central Storage (NAS,Server) and copy your whole
C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\XBMC into it.
The settings of your XBMC (include skin) are now on the NAS.

Now, on all XBMC machines, create a symlink in this folder and name it XBMC: C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\

If you wanna deny changes on the folder, set the permission rights on the shared folder.
Network drive home folder. When you move to MySQL locking of the DB should no longer be a problem.

Or set it up on the "main" computer. Put it into Kiosk mode and remove the settings options so they can't break it.

Optionally, get smarter roommates. Mine has figured it all out on her own just fine after a 5-10 minute intro.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
traxxus Wrote:You can do that with Windows Symlinks! Not MySQL

Create a folder on your central Storage (NAS,Server) and copy your whole
C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\XBMC into it.
The settings of your XBMC (include skin) are now on the NAS.

Now, on all XBMC machines, create a symlink in this folder and name it XBMC: C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\

If you wanna deny changes on the folder, set the permission rights on the shared folder.

You still need MySQL for the database. The sqlite database was not designed to be opened by multiple users.
Code:
Hm, when only the master xbmc writes in the sqlDB and the other has only read privileges, there should be no problem?
And who knows what fits XBMC will throw when it can't write. It updates random stuff like where it is in the movie.
Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming Library to other Machines0