• 18(current)
[Mini-ITX] A6-3600 (4x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D
(2012-04-27, 20:35)Jarjar72 Wrote: Of course I didn't test it in the office just picked it up...

There is also no On/Off switch on this PSU. Just the cable to plug into the electricity. Or do I have to fire it up in another way?
If you have a multimeter, you can easily verify the PSU before connecting it to the mothermoard. Check out this post- Recuing My HTPC

(2012-04-27, 20:56)CpTHOOK Wrote: The stock cooler is working fine, temps are a bit higher than Beer's, but no cause for alarm when Idle is between 40-42c and 1080p no higher than 50c.
Nothing to worry about bud.....mine is running hotter than that for more than a year now, and my playback is always in full 1080P with bitstreaming HD audio too. HD audio can be addicted, and I refuse to watch any movie without bitstreaming HD audio in it...... I hope it die soon so I have a reason to build a new one.....Big Grin

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
if only u had one of these like me & beer40

@eskro

It does not have an On/Off switch as I wrote. Of course I would have turned it on. And I am not sure it works in general. I just picked it up at my IT dept at my office today. They just handed it over to me.

@bluray

Don't have such a multimeter either... I am not so the DIY guy normally.

Well, there's nothing I can do for the moment. Just called a friend of mine. Maybe I can go to his place tomorrow to hook it up to a PSU on one of his computers.

(2012-04-27, 21:35)Jarjar72 Wrote: Well, there's nothing I can do for the moment. Just called a friend of mine. Maybe I can go to his place tomorrow to hook it up to a PSU on one of his computers.

that would be perfect test!

(2012-04-27, 21:28)bluray Wrote: I hope it die soon so I have a reason to build a new one.....Big Grin

Rofl Wayyy 2 funny!
Okay guys,

Update...

I have now a 250W PSU from an old desktop PC attached to the motherboard.
Unfortunately this older PSU is missing the 4 Pin 12V connector. Is this going to be a problem? What does this connector do exactly?

I tried to run it without this 4 Pin 12V connector connected.

The following happens:
CPU fan is starting to run and it is NOT turning on and off anymore even with all RAM modules plugged in.
It seems to run smoothly.

BUT it does not boot into BIOS either. Has this to do with that I didn't attach plug in this 4 Pin 12V connector?
My display is totally not showing any reaction when I turn the computer on. It's connected by a VGA cable.

So, does that mean now, that indeed the 125W external brick was/is not enough? To me it seems like that since the CPU fan was going On and Off all the time with this 125W brick. With the 250W PSU it does not do that anymore.

Any hints?

Cheers,
Jarjar
Update No. 2

Hi again...

Guys it is official. I don't want to make feel someone bad here but bluray was right.
It looks like the 125W brick is not strong enough to power the A8-3850 processor.

I got it working with a 160W PSU from the old Dell desktop computer. And it booted into BIOS flawlessly.

The question is now would it work with the Antec case if I would buy a 135W brick? Or will this still not be enough?
If it's still not enough then I bought the ISK300-65 case for nothing since I can not go bigger than a 135W brick, right?

So I then have to buy another case which I would not like to do. Maybe the Antec ISK-300-150. But you guys do not recommend this... And even here... is 150W enough or do I need more to be on the save side?

Oh man... I am so happy now that I know the problem and I know that I didn't damage something.

Greets

135w is max brick for isk300-65,
its really weird per se as the reviews and tests shows that
clearly shows how much power the a75m-itx + A8-3850 consumes under stress (while playing games)....
and its under 120w...
so i can only imaging how much lower it'll be if u simply play 1080P via XBMC.
its unReal, but looks like thats what it is.
only way to know if 135w is enough somehow
is maybe use a Power Meter but even then,
i mean, this image there shows even 120w should be enough!!
i guess someone needs to guinea pig with the 135w brick unfortunately..

@eskro

I don't know why it is like that but it is what it is...

Meanwhile I have bought a used A8-3820 on ebay in the states. Will take a couple of days until it is here. But this processor is the same as A8-3850 but with only 65W power consumption. So maybe the 125W brick will work with this processor...?

Hopefully.

well at this point, it has too,
i mean, 65w TDP Beer40's APU has,
and he uses his stock 65w brick that came with isk300-65...
(2012-04-30, 21:28)eskro Wrote: 135w is max brick for isk300-65,
There must be a reason behind it for Antec to sell it with 65W power brick only.....

(2012-04-30, 21:22)Jarjar72 Wrote: Update No. 2

Hi again...

Guys it is official. I don't want to make feel someone bad here but bluray was right.
It looks like the 125W brick is not strong enough to power the A8-3850 processor.

I got it working with a 160W PSU from the old Dell desktop computer. And it booted into BIOS flawlessly.

The question is now would it work with the Antec case if I would buy a 135W brick? Or will this still not be enough?
If it's still not enough then I bought the ISK300-65 case for nothing since I can not go bigger than a 135W brick, right?

So I then have to buy another case which I would not like to do. Maybe the Antec ISK-300-150. But you guys do not recommend this... And even here... is 150W enough or do I need more to be on the save side?

Oh man... I am so happy now that I know the problem and I know that I didn't damage something.

Greets
I'm glad that everything is still working fine. If you still want to go with silent PSU option, you might want to check this guy thread- A8-3850 and Asus F1A75-I Deluxe "Black Beauty"....he's using 160W "PICOPSU-160-XT"....

(2012-04-30, 21:37)Jarjar72 Wrote: Meanwhile I have bought a used A8-3820 on ebay in the states. Will take a couple of days until it is here. But this processor is the same as A8-3850 but with only 65W power consumption.
It's 65W, but it's equipped with more powerful 2.8GHz/2.5GHz CPU and HD6550D iGPU. It'll draw more power than A6-3500......

(2012-04-30, 22:40)bluray Wrote: There must be a reason behind it for Antec to sell it with 65W power brick only.....

well i just got a reply from antec support team
and they said that one can use a 135w brick with the isk300-65
no issues there....
(2012-05-01, 01:45)eskro Wrote: and they said that one can use a 135w brick with the isk300-65
It still can have problem when A8-3850 is under CPU load or System load according to these tests- AMD A8-3850 APU Review: Llano Hits the Desktop, AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz Llano APU Review and Power consumption and efficiency......I would say 160W pico is probably perfect fit for the A8-3850.....

(2012-05-01, 03:51)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 01:45)eskro Wrote: and they said that one can use a 135w brick with the isk300-65
It still can have problem when A8-3850 is under CPU load or System load according to these tests- AMD A8-3850 APU Review: Llano Hits the Desktop, AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz Llano APU Review and Power consumption and efficiency......I would say 160W pico is probably perfect fit for the A8-3850.....

your links are irrelevant here...

they all use a microATX motherboard with powerful PSU's
and your first link there even has a dedicated GPU on the mobo...

cant compare this to Jarjar72's build using a mini-ITX mobo....

ReaL test would be if he had bought a 135w Power Brick,
then, we'd knew...
You cant compare a miniITX mobo with a microATX!!
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mini-ITX] A6-3600 (4x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D3