HOW-TO NFS for Windows 7 / WHS 2011 / Server 2008
Star 
I thought I'd share my findings in getting NFS sharing to work on the most recent Windows operating systems. I've done this on Windows Home Server 2011, but it would also apply to Windows 7 or Server 2008.

I downloaded and installed hanewin NFS. I then configured the software using this video on YouTube.

I found that I had to open the following ports for both TCP and UDP:

If you do a Start Menu search for firewall you will see 'Windows Firewall With Advanced Security'. Once this is open click Inbound Rules on the left and then New Rule on the right. Create a new rule for a Port, enter the three ports separated by commas and leave TCP as the protocol. Click Next twice more leaving the defaults and then give it a name. Do the same again but choose UDP as the protocol.

Once I'd done all the above I could browse to the NFS share in XBMC and stream content. I was doing this on a Apple TV 1, but I do plan to add the v2 to my setup soon.

Nick
Very nice, thanks for the info!
Thanks, that was useful. I actually got NFS working with that, which I could accomplish using Unix Services for Windows.

I haven't search the forum yet to see it it's a know issue, but i noticed that my dvd folders (video_ts folder) isn't working over NFS, though it is working over SMB.

Remco
kno1 Wrote:Thanks, that was useful. I actually got NFS working with that, which I could accomplish using Unix Services for Windows.

I haven't search the forum yet to see it it's a know issue, but i noticed that my dvd folders (video_ts folder) isn't working over NFS, though it is working over SMB.

Remco

Do you use a current nightly version of xbmc?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Do you use a current nightly version of xbmc?

I didn't at the time, but I am now. After searching I found another thread on this, I posted my setup and log in there: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=941...stcount=12

Took me a while to post, just as I was preparing to post, the power went out in our block, and it just got back on after 4 hours Oo

Remco
klaus1013 Wrote:I thought I'd share my findings in getting NFS sharing to work on the most recent Windows operating systems. I've done this on Windows Home Server 2011, but it would also apply to Windows 7 or Server 2008.

Is Hanewin easier to configure than the native NFS support (win 2008 has it and i think WHS 2011 has it too)?
The reason for my question is that I have Win 2008 server and I have just started to look in to adding NFS support.

But it seems like I have to have my own AD as well for the native NFS to work, so if it is easier to setup Hanewin, I may go for that instead...
Tore Wrote:Is Hanewin easier to configure than the native NFS support (win 2008 has it and i think WHS 2011 has it too)?
The reason for my question is that I have Win 2008 server and I have just started to look in to adding NFS support.

But it seems like I have to have my own AD as well for the native NFS to work, so if it is easier to setup Hanewin, I may go for that instead...

Smart move - Active Directory is phenomenal overkill for a home network unless you have a family of 50. You can install Services for Unix on pretty much any Windows server but with 2K8 under the hood you do need a DC at the heart of your network.

Hanewin is very fast to implement (it took me less than 5 minutes) and has far better performance than SMB with XBMC. I have a pair of ATV2's on 5Ghz and have no stutter issues with 720P H264 files in either MP4 or MKV wrappers over NFS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO NFS for Windows 7 / WHS 2011 / Server 20080