Will optimising a skins images make it snappier?
I am trying to use a skin that is supposedly a little memory hungry on my Apple TV2.

When I activate it, it really slows the operation down of the menu system so I've taken a look in the skins folder to find anything that can be done because I really like it!

The first thing I noticed was quite a few 1080p backdrops are around 1.5Mb in size, which I think is a bit excessive really, I already got this one down to 230Kb's without affecting the quality!

Surely optimising all the images would make this - and other skins - more functional and more snappy no?

I'm going to drill through this particular skin (not mentioning any names - but will offer up my changes to the skinner if it works) and optimise all the images and because it is an ATV, I'll resize them to 720p instead of 1080p. It stands to reason that faster loading times should speed this up yes?

or -
Am I wasting my time?
What other factors can cause a skin to slow down/lag?

--EDIT
Just realised most of the skins images are in a file 'textures.xbt' and nothing can be done with it.

Oh well. Nevermind.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
Fanart. use the resize fanart and thumb function in advancedsettings.xml
DejaVu Wrote:--EDIT
Just realised most of the skins images are in a file 'textures.xbt' and nothing can be done with it.

Oh well. Nevermind.

Download the code for your skin of choice and tinker with all your images then compress them into a textures.xbt file with texturepacker then replace the old textures.xbt with your newly created one with optimised .jpg's
Not sure about ATV but generally since xbmc is rendered in the GPU its better to make textures to the power of 2 because thats how the gpu loads them anyway
eg:
1x1
2x2
4x4
8x8
16x16
32x32
64x64
128x128
256x256...... and so on

and combinations there of eg: 1024x256

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help