[RECOMMENDATION] Cheap NAS that works well
I bought a USB NAS from DealExtreme.com for $39USD that works well for streaming my 1080p content to my atv2. This replaced an old power-hungry P4 with FreeNAS installed. I have a 2TB and a 1TB USB disk and it is flawless.

ns-k330

Once you install SnakeOS, it is far more stable and you can use a USB hub to connect more Hard Drives. I found that FTP is better than SMB for streaming in this case. It is possible to get NFS running but I haven't bothered (yet).

I wouldn't recommend this to do much else as it has limited CPU and RAM. It peaks around 5-6MB/s Read with FTP and ~5 write. Once you get multiple devices reading/writing it starts sweating a bit. However, for this single purpose it is perfect - small, cheap and 3W power consumption.
All I need now is a recommendation on how I can buy hard disks for a sensible price Sad
slickdeals.net

and just search hard drive every day. This weekend there will be livable deals for sure... And by 'deal' I mean the price it was two months ago...
Nice
Can u run cp sickbeard and headphones on it? I am highly intrigued but never used one. How do u hook it up? Direct to ur router? Or just an ethernet cable? Pls advise as i have a revo 3610 running 24-7 and this might help me instead.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
rflores2323 Wrote:Can u run cp sickbeard and headphones on it? I am highly intrigued but never used one. How do u hook it up? Direct to ur router? Or just an ethernet cable? Pls advise as i have a revo 3610 running 24-7 and this might help me instead.

I know you can run an instance of debian on it and maybe that could do what you want, but wouldn't know otherwise.

The software is called Snake OS, which has transmission as a bittorrent client. Sorry not sure about running sickbeard. Google 'snake os debian chroot'

It is just a little box with 2 USB ports and an RJ45 port that you connect to your switch or router - or you could use a crossover cable directly to the appletv if you like... I have it switched on the same LAN.

I should mention that it runs like a dog with NTFS and you must format your drives to EXT3 for best performance. Makes no difference unless you want to plug the usb drives into your windows PCs.
Check out the Qnap 2-series. My TS212 has been flawless.
RosevilleHT Wrote:Check out the Qnap 2-series. My TS212 has been flawless.

bet it wasn't $39 Oo
rickrude Wrote:bet it wasn't $39 Oo

No, but you do get what you pay for. ~$200 for a GOOD NAS isn't bad, in the grand scheme of things. If I don't upgrade for more speed, I'll likely have this for years. With a single drive, connected to a GB network, it'll pull 25-35MB/s transfers from PC to NAS.
Roseville.. do you cp and sickbeard running on it
rflores2323 Wrote:Roseville.. do you cp and sickbeard running on it

I'm using Sickbeard and Sabnzbd. Takes a little configuring, but it works flawlessly. Sickbeard pushes the notifications to XBMC to update the database of TV Shows, and I'm good to go.
RosevilleHT Wrote:I'm using Sickbeard and Sabnzbd. Takes a little configuring, but it works flawlessly. Sickbeard pushes the notifications to XBMC to update the database of TV Shows, and I'm good to go.
What about couch potato
rflores2323 Wrote:What about couch potato

I've used it a couple times. I don't really like the results it gives. So, yes, it'll run the app, but I don't currently use it. Go to their user forums for an idea of what this thing is capable of.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RECOMMENDATION] Cheap NAS that works well0