View/control xbmc from another room?
Hi,

I'm looking to control my kids Windows 7 xbmc media centre via my iPad browser or an app such as VNC etc... However I have been unsuccessful in my quest.

Basically, they always ask me to put films and tv shows on, and as they don't know how to use it, that means going through to their room to select a movie etc. As they only have access to streaming god awful shows such as glee etc it's not as easy as blindly sending content to that particular machine.

Is there any way that I can "view/control" xbmc from another room (to allow me to select the next glee episode etc) directly from my browser or iPad iOS app etc.

I did try VNC but it was a tad funky and seemed to want to display a blank screen when I connected.

The machine in question is an atom based intel 945 gpu so it's weak, irratic and not very flexible.

I tried enabling the "control via http" in xbmc's networking section, but this just displays a little remote control for xbmc, which is great, but as I can't see the screen that's no good to me.

Does anyone know of a way to view/control xbmc from another room (ideally from an iPad or browser based or ios app based) that will allow me to achieve this?

Cheers,
There is a native remote for both iOS (Ipad) and android. I would suggest using either of those.
blacklist Wrote:There is a native remote for both iOS (Ipad) and android. I would suggest using either of those.

Hi,
That's a "remote" though is it not? How can I navigate xbmc using a remote if I can't see the screen?

Basically I need to be able to view xbmcs display on my iPad (for the bedroom laptop) so that I can login and change episodes etc without having to go into actual room to phsically see xbmc's screen (as the screen will be fed VNC style to my browser/iPad/app).

VNC seems to just send a black screen when xbmc is running, disable xbmc and all is good? Is there any other way to send the xbmc screen to another room to allow it to be controlled remotely?
It has the option of actually viewing the Tv shows. Sec ill post a screenshot.

Hi,

Yea I understand that Laugh But as i said, they only have access to "streaming content" from navix etc so I need to be able to navigate through the menus.

I appreciate the reply though, I'm looking into other ways around this issue as my easiest solution is to run xbmc in a full screen window and use VNC (problem solved) but as the laptop they use is a single core atom with some intel gma 945 lite pish as its gpu, it basically falls apart when running in full screen window Sad

A web interface would be a perfect solution...

Cheers again though,
Oh, i misunderstood. Teamviewer is another similar option, but its probably not the best option for this.

VNC is probably your best bet. Or make a script or something.
TheTVDB.com moderator
dwjp90 Wrote:Oh, i misunderstood. Teamviewer is another similar option, but its probably not the best option for this.

VNC is probably your best bet. Or make a script or something.

VNC is not really an option as the machine is not powerful enough, my other option is terminal which may work Better... Web Interface would be best (im sure the old xbox version had a full web gui?) however, I'm currently ooking at a Jpeg solution at the moment, which basically takes a screenshot everytime i make a change from a pre determined location. The jpegs are stored on a shared drive (which are immedetly visible and loaded in my browser) the drive is then purged upon exit Eek Laugh Rofl

its an absolutly disgustingly ugly as sin solution but it may just work For my current needs and uses no overhead whatsoever Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
View/control xbmc from another room?0