suggestion for a very cheap way to play mkv off DVD
...come on Eskro..i know you got 2 cents to put in, more and more i get films that are only available as mkv from certain sources..Rolleyes...ii get people constanly asking me to get them something that will play mkv off a dvd but its got to be cheap...i cant see any standalone DVD players that play mkv off DVD.
Blu-ray players can do that. I recommend 3D blu-ray players from LG, they're pretty powerful and have a very vast format support. Or people can choose a BD player of the same brand as their TV so that they could use the remote for controlling the TV as well. That's as cheap as you can get...
Is there any reason that it has to be off a DVD? Could you not supply it to them on a USB stick?

There are more options available if you are open to using a USB device:
-Smart TVs
-Media Streamers
-Certain DVD Players
Phillips players are known for playing anything

But why couldent you just play it in your DVD drive and use CCCP codex. Its what I do
tyersch Wrote:Is there any reason that it has to be off a DVD? Could you not supply it to them on a USB stick?

There are more options available if you are open to using a USB device:
-Smart TVs
-Media Streamers
-Certain DVD Players

Heh...these people just about have DVD player, they have smart TV's but they are not smart enough to use them to full capacity..they just like to put bread in the toaster...same as..they just want to put a disc in the player

Jetster Wrote:Phillips players are known for playing anything

But why couldent you just play it in your DVD drive and use CCCP codex. Its what I do

Does that mean some sort of pre encoding...i download mkvs that are designed to fit on dvdr
maybe a cheap nettop ??
why dont you simply convert the MKV movie into DVD STRUCTURE
and then burn it to a blank DVD Disc?

u can do this in 1 click of a button using this application --> ConvertXtoDVD

after that, any EL'Cheapo DVD player will be able to play the disc!
eskro Wrote:why dont you simply convert the MKV movie into DVD STRUCTURE

..TIME !!!...just dont have the time to do that..plus there will be some quality compromise somewhere...i noticed a few blu ray players play mkv, some state H264 would this also mean they will play X264..they dont also state that they play mkv from DVD but i am gussing thats just standard that it does, ie, if it decodes mkv then it plays it from any medium it supports, i was looking at a couple of sony blu ray players (BDP S470 & BDP S370)...a bit off topic i know but would they do the job ? at around £100 GBP i dont think i could get a nettop with DVD player that will run XBMC and read mkv from DVD disc or even build one from scratch ??
eskro Wrote:why dont you simply convert the MKV movie into DVD STRUCTURE

This is probably the best way to do it...I recently found some old foreign TV show for my grandparents...it was in PAL and not in a typical format and ConvertXtoDVD (I am pretty sure that was the software I used) was able to take them, convert to NTSC, attach subs and make DVDs that my grandparents could play no problem.
yepp, ConvertXtoDVD does that ottothecow
this fully equipped $343 "IdeaCentre Q180 - 31102BU" with amd hd6450a gpu should be able to playback any dvd and mkv off dvd. you can do a lot more with it than any standalone player!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
i wouldnt say thats cheap...and a lot more than is needed for my projected audience, i have been looking further into blu ray players and it seems that if they can decode MKV then they can decode it from dvdr
i like the design of it, but man, why an Intel Atom Processor.... meh...
eskro Wrote:i like the design of it, but man, why an Intel Atom Processor.... meh...
Due to the very tiny case, it's very hard to fit any standard CPU+iGPU in it. I think that the AMD Radeon HD 6450A iGPU in it made up for the CPU. But 2.1 GHz core isn't bad at all!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
yeah but, at that price i mean, i dunno,,, still a --> meh,,, for me Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
suggestion for a very cheap way to play mkv off DVD0