Need to make space..what to delete?
My main OS drive is a modest 40gig, running vista, AV, and a couple of other programs that are needed, i have it down to the bsic for my htpc, however, this morning space went down to 11mb free, i have managed to get space back to 238mb, but woould like more.
I see that xbmc has by far the greatest use, being 16GB in the userdata-****-appdata-roaming-xbmc-userdata-thumbnails.
This file is 13gb, is there anything i can delete thats not needed or is another hardrive for the OS a better option!
Thanks guys
There are various options. Assuming you have a large D: drive the simplest solution is to move the XBMC from C:\Program Files to D:\XBMC and then run XBMC in portable mode. That will keep the user data in D:\XBMC\portable_data. Just copy the contents of appdata\XBMC to D:\XBMC\portable_data to transfer over your library and all your settings.

Alternatively you can use a symlink to make appdata\XBMC point to a directory on the D: drive.

Finally if you upgrade to a nightly build, this has a way of storing data in directories of your choice.

JR
hi jr, thanks for the reply, ok, so i just copy the entire xbmc folder from c: to another hard drive? (i need to because now i only have 2MB free, and it's affecting icefilms playback i think)
Moving the folder is not a problem, i just don't want to screw my huge library up in the process!
Could you enlighten me as to how i go about running xbmc in portable mode, as i have never used this way before!
Thanks for the help!
Hi, ok, i have copied the program file xbmc to drive 'M', but as for the C: appdata file, where does that go on drive 'M', cos i cant find no appdata folder on 'M' to copy it into?
Assuming you've copied the XBMC program folder to M:\XBMC, create a shortcut or modify the existing shortcut to run:

M:\XBMX\XBMC.exe /p

Double click the shortcut and XBMC will run with default settings. Close XBMC. Look in M:\XBMC and there will be a folder called portable_data (i.e. M:\XBMC\portable_data). Look in that folder and you'll see folders called addons, meida, etc.

Now press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc"

(including the quotes) and click OK and an Explorer window will open showing the same set of folders: addons, cache, media, sounds, etc. Select and copy all these folders and paste them into M:\XBMC\portable_data. Answer yes when Explorer asks if you want to replace the existing folders.

Now if you run M:\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p it should start will all your settings.

When you run M:\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p the folder M:\XBMC\portable_data plays the same roles as %appdata%\xbmc.

JR
Thanks for the reply, am just in from work so will get cracking in the morning!, Thanks again JR!
Another way is to run the cleanup-script someone posted earlier. This runs through the thumbnails folder and deletes obsolete thumbnails - a thing XBMC doesn't do on it's own.

Will go look for the thread and update this one accordingly.

EDIT: There it was. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96097

FFY
Ok, i will know in 1 hour 27 if this is successful!
btw, thanks fungify
Just to say thanks JR for your assistance, now XBMC has 200GB free space to play about with!!
Thanks!
i was wondering, when i cone to upgrade to eden, will the set up with portable data present a problem??
No, it shouldn't - you'd still have to use the /p-switch though.

Another solution would be to do simply the following:
Assuming you moved the folder "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" to "M:\XBMC_Data", you could create a NTFS-Junctionpoint (NTFS equivalent of a symlink) in the following way:

1. Press Windows-Key + R and then type "cmd" in the window, hit enter
2. In the command line window, type the following:
Code:
cd C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\
and hit "Enter".
3. Now - type the following:
Code:
mklink /D XBMC M:\XBMC_Data
and hit "Enter".

This will create a junction-point on the drive. If a program now accesses "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" it actually accesses "M:\XBMC_Data". This way you don't have to worry about switches or something particuluar - XBMC will just work as usual, except that the files are actually sitting on another drive.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

thanks, sill now wait for stable eden!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need to make space..what to delete?0