Looking for a networking recommendation
Hey Guys,

I built myself a new HTPC, I thought I would try a SSD this time. I used the following components:

Case: SILVERSTONE GD05B
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz Dual-Core
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GT 430
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Main Drive: Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V60GB2 2.5" 60GB (SSD)
Storage Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 3.5" Internal HD
BluRay Drive: SAMSUNG Blu-ray SH-B123L

Everything went well and I love the new box, but when I set up the network shares I hit a snag. After the HTPC has been asleep for awhile (and not every time!) when I go to wake it up it will hang and I will have to reboot. I was thinking it was something to do with the SSD setup, I had enabled TRIM, disabled Hibernation and moved the paging file to my storage drive, but some research online pointed to the windows networking. I had just added my media to new Library's in Win7 and shared them on my network. I had no problem accessing my media for other machines but that's when the freezing started. Once I disabled the shares the freezing problem coming out of sleep went away (no issues for the last week).

So now the back story is out of the way, the question I have for you guys is what is the best way to share my media over my network? The Win7 Libraries (SMB) are out and UPnP with the xbmc server seems really slow... What are my other options?

Thanks for any input!

Also this may be nothing but the "Compressing Database" message seems to take way longer on my new machine... any clue what that is?
What Suspend Mode is your motherboard set to? I had that issue for a whiel until i set mine to a different mode. But it's so long, I'm not sure if i now have my HTPC on S1 or S3.

By hanging, does the screen come back adn then your OS freezes? Does networking stop working?
Not sure what suspend mode the MB is set to (didn't know that was an option!), I will check in a bit... what should it be set to??

Normal function is when I hit a button on my remote the IR dongle flashes once and the HTPC wakes up. This works fine as long as I don't share my libraries on the network (SMB).

The issue is when I go to wake my HTPC up, my IR dongle lights up and stays lit but the screen doesn't come up and I have to turn off the power at the PSU and reboot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a networking recommendation0