How to connect to a networked drive
We've got a drive with movies ripped to it that is connected to our network through a mac mini. In order to connect to it, you must be logged on as a user of that machine (All users have passwords) - So here's my question:

How do I get XBMC to connect to it from my ATV2?

In order for me to connect to the drive from XBMC on my Macbook, I first need to log onto the mac mini under the shared tab in the finder, then launch XBMC, so XBMC can see it.

Any ideas?
Might I suggest taking advantage of the search function for these forums?
Add Videos -> Browse -> scroll down and "add network location"

This will let you manually enter details, including usernames and passwords. Enter the macmini's IP address, use AFP as the protocol, enter username and password, then press okay.

Find this new network entry that you just created and select it. Navigate to the folder you want to use, and press okay.
thanks ned for replying.. as for rosevileHT there have many users on thsi board who try to tell people to search these forums. In some cases i have searched for what i am looking and have not found what exactly i am looking for, and what is the point in forums if we can't post without someone like yourself saying do a search all the time, i seen to many users tell others to do searches and leads to immature arguements. Who cares just let it be
It's actually one of those things that comes up in parts in posts here and there, so it is hard to find in search. Eventually we'll have some nice wiki pages for step-by-step instructions on all of this.
This is what I attempted to do, but unfortunately it's not recognizing the mac mini... It just says that an error occurred, and it can't connect to the mini, would I like to add it anyway? (Y/N)

So I'm not sure what's going on. I did the exact same thing on my PC and Mac and it worked on both of their XBMC clients. Could this have to do with my ATV2 running a nightly build?

If I can't get this to work, would I be able to attach my external 2TB drive to the ATV2 and get XBMC to recognize that?

And I did try to search, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. But thanks for the lesson on the search function Eek
It is more likely to work with the nightly build.
You can't mount a drive to the ATV2 it does not have usb host capability.
Post a xbmc.log of you trying to browse the afp source and getting the error.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to connect to a networked drive0