XBMC on ATV2 crashes on start due to DB corruption issue?
Quote:How can I fix this issue short of never unplugging my unit?

Most users don't unplug the ATV2. They just leave it on. The cost of operation is about a few dollars in electricity a year. It pulls very little power, which is why Apple didn't bother with a power switch or a way to turn it completely off. Even "sleep" on the ATV2 is only display sleep.
Wink 
kkgta Wrote:1) Would having the atv2 start up directly into XBMC avoiding the main appleTV menu help?

2) adding the line command rm -f /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Database/*db into the XBMC start up process so that it will clear the database directory every execution so that corruption would be a very rare occurrence?

The only answer is to be sure there are no database tables open when the device shuts down / reboots. So whenever you plan to shut down or reboot your device, simply close XBMC. If it crashes - you just have to hope there were no database operations running at that exact time. But sometimes sh1t happens.
Hmm, maybe devs will implement some kind of revisions model? Eg. as last step of exit (after closing DB files) XBMC will duplicate them, and then as first step of startup it will create simple file with db revision it will try to open (and deleting this file after succesfully opening). If XBMC crash when trying to open that revision at next startup it will be known that this db revision is broken so it need to load older one (or recreate it from scratch).
kkgta Wrote:So I must be doing something wrong then or everyone would be having this issue... (except those that have the db on some ups network location)

How can I fix this issue short of never unplugging my unit? Please help...

I have a couple of ossible work around solutions?

1) Would having the atv2 start up directly into XBMC avoiding the main appleTV menu help?

2) adding the line command rm -f /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Database/*db into the XBMC start up process so that it will clear the database directory every execution so that corruption would be a very rare occurrence?

Thanks!
No, it's not just you. It only started for me on Friday when I updated to latest at the time from a mid October build previously. I have never had this issue before.

I have deleted all my local DB files on the atv and tried to recreate all again but still getting corruption errors every day and a half. I use MySQL for video db. I have noticed that there are a few memory related crash logs in crash reporter directory

Can't offer any solutions, sorry. Personally think I'll roll back or even do a clean install.
--
XBMC HUB - THE NEW HOME FOR ADD-ONS and PLUGINS
Read how my ATV2 installation went
ATV2 one week on ... it's getting better all the time
XBMC/ATV2 - Feeling the love
--
XBMC:
Platform - Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F305)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
Platform - Darwin OSX (8.8.2 i386, Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N6014)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
I remember Memphiz saying that a lot of the time xbmc is crashing when being shutdown. I guess this means that you are more likely to have problems if you either:
  1. Crash a lot when running xbmc
  2. Exit xbmc when you are finished (and have it crash while shutting down)
In either case there may be database operations that have not been flushed yet

My advice is not to run anything too fragile on it and don't shutdown unless you have to or after it has been idle for a while.
Since most people will be running their shared libraries off another networked device, moving the database to that location should be an option for everyone / anyone. It doesn't cost any more money (since MySQL is free) and since you've managed to jailbreak your device and get XBMC installed, you should have enough technical knowledge to set it up. Just my 2p
iOS and general XBMC bugs are being squashed left and right. Anyone following the github commits can see the devs are on a roll. This shouldn't be much of an issue soon, but keep testing and update every day to the latest nightly.
I don't know how helpful I can be but I just set up two new ATV2's over the weekend, jailbroken to 4.3, with XBMC running the 12/3 or 12/4 nightly. I had an old PC I was using on Win 7 but XBMC and the PC just weren't very stable and I hated the idea of $200/year in electricity to run that machine (before that I had been using XBMC on a couple of Xbox originals.)

Anyway, as I've been learning about ATV, the latest XBMC, addons, etc, I've repeatedly rebooted my two ATV2's, often via putty "reboot." I've crashed them each a couple of times for various reasons, too. I haven't had any problems with anything at all that wasn't pilot-induced. This is far more stable than I had it working on Win7 and I'm about to toss my beloved TiVo finally - it's that good and that stable. Hopefully it will stay that way (fingers crossed.) Anyway, just another data point - my 2 units are working perfect.
Thumbs Up 
skyhawk85u Wrote:I don't know how helpful I can be but I just set up two new ATV2's over the weekend, jailbroken to 4.3, with XBMC running the 12/3 or 12/4 nightly. I had an old PC I was using on Win 7 but XBMC and the PC just weren't very stable and I hated the idea of $200/year in electricity to run that machine (before that I had been using XBMC on a couple of Xbox originals.)

Anyway, as I've been learning about ATV, the latest XBMC, addons, etc, I've repeatedly rebooted my two ATV2's, often via putty "reboot." I've crashed them each a couple of times for various reasons, too. I haven't had any problems with anything at all that wasn't pilot-induced. This is far more stable than I had it working on Win7 and I'm about to toss my beloved TiVo finally - it's that good and that stable. Hopefully it will stay that way (fingers crossed.) Anyway, just another data point - my 2 units are working perfect.

When (if?) XBMC crashes on your Windows PC, chances are it doesn't take the entire operating system with it. In many cases, when XBMC crashes on ATV2 it causes the unit to reboot. This is the equivalent of pressing the reset button on your Windows PC. Whilst 9/10 times you won't notice a problem, once out 10 your hard disk, or databases, or Windows or some other component will have a problem. Sometimes this is easily fixed, sometimes not so.

I should also add that I've been using IceFilms, VODie and a few other plugins, in addition to watching movies from my NAS since I installed 1st December nightly without a single crash or reboot since. So it's definitely approaching stability! Big Grin
Gabhan Wrote:When (if?) XBMC crashes on your Windows PC, chances are it doesn't take the entire operating system with it. In many cases, when XBMC crashes on ATV2 it causes the unit to reboot. This is the equivalent of pressing the reset button on your Windows PC. Whilst 9/10 times you won't notice a problem, once out 10 your hard disk, or databases, or Windows or some other component will have a problem. Sometimes this is easily fixed, sometimes not so.

I should also add that I've been using IceFilms, VODie and a few other plugins, in addition to watching movies from my NAS since I installed 1st December nightly without a single crash or reboot since. So it's definitely approaching stability! Big Grin

it should not reboot on crash ... only frontrow gets restarted ... you really see the booting apple on your tv after a crash?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:it should not reboot on crash ... only frontrow gets restarted ... you really see the booting apple on your tv after a crash?

If they are direct booting it might? *shrug*
Ned Scott Wrote:If they are direct booting it might? *shrug*

no ... not even then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Unless you see an apple logo you are not rebooting, just respawning frontrow.
We really need to work on terminology for these things.

Crash - XBMC exits to frontrow.
Reboot - See the apple logo
Bomb - xbmc stops doing what it should but does not exit

No chance of it as we can't even get people to read the faq Wink
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help with this issue. Great community...

Boy these things are a lot of fun ;-)
Memphiz Wrote:it should not reboot on crash ... only frontrow gets restarted ... you really see the booting apple on your tv after a crash?

I could swear that I have, on rare occasions, seen the apple logo after a crash. Not often, but at least two or three times since I've had XBMC, and once fairly recently. At least I think so. I definitely know I've seen the Apple logo recently, but it might've been a time when my wife pulled the plug on the ATV2; I don't recall.

Now that I know it's not supposed to happen, I'll keep a closer eye out for it and let you all know if/when it happens again.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV2 crashes on start due to DB corruption issue?0