XBMC So Freakin Slow!!! WHY
So I am running XBMC 10.1 latest version on a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on a laptop. For the life of me I can't seem to get this stupid thing to stop lagging. I have my movies / tv shows / music on my main desktop and I am using the laptop to stream everything to my 42” LCD. I am using the Ethernet, not the wireless to connect to my network. The laptop has the following specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile 1.8Ghz
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667
Storage: 120GB SATA 5400 RPM
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1270

Now I know it is not much, but for christ sake, this should be enough to push this software. It don't matter what I am doing, it will lag when I try and move between movie slections, etc. I am also running a Gateway MCE remote using EventGhost. So far, I have EventGhost programmed perfectly for my remote, but the stupid XBMC lags so much that sometimes when I hit a button on the remote it goes like twice, even thou I hit the button once. Anyhow, I can get over that, but I am so sick and tired of the software lagging so bad! Things that I try to do: (of course running stock skin)

Videos-> Movies-> Title-> (Select Movie)-> More Info-> Get Thumb-> = Takes Forever to load!!!!

Sometimes even getting to that selection screen takes forever!!! Same with loading any fanart, etc.

So my question is, what the hell is wrong with this software. Do I need to run a earlier build or what? Maybe Eden 11 will fix this, because I so wanna just throw my remote at my TV because of this god awful lag! Any suggestions? Maybe screw with advancesettings.xml or whatever? Anything would be better then this junk atm!
the problem sits on your chair.
kcraptor82 Wrote:Anything would be better then this junk atm!

If you can do a better job then do it yourself Stare
If you don't like it... leave it!!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Wow, way to stop people wanting to help you!

Are you running any other processes in the background? Have you enabled dirty-regions?

You've not really pastebin'ed a log, which is normally the bare-minimum necessary to get a dev to help you. I guess the demanding tone of your original post has probably done for you anyway. Tip: calling someone's hard work "junk" probably won't make them jump through hoops for you. Just a little food for thought......
kcraptor82 Wrote:Now I know it is not much, but for christ sake, this should be enough to push this software.

Not with all the artwork that needs to be loaded especially 1920x1080 fanart

You need to use dds in advancesettings.xml and don't expect it to work instantly because it takes time to encode all the images to dds and your need to scroll through your library for this to happen
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
first of xbmc is not slow, in general!
on my system, it's faster than anything else I have ever used as a front end! Smile

so you might want to try and narrow down where it goes wrong:

1: cpu load?
2: ram usage?
3: check without your remote, is the lag still there if you use the keyboard?
4: not sure which skin you use, but try the default one
5: do a clean install (make a backup first)

and as suggested above, be sure to post your log file, if you want anyone to help you!
Could be that the database has got mangled..... deleting your userdata and restarting xbmc will let you start from scratch with a clean everything....
I think he should apply for a refund Smile
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Notice how we all jumped in and tried to help though..... even though I said no one would! We're far too nice around here....
Turned on Video Hardware acceleration in the System menu?
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
spiff Wrote:the problem sits on your chair.

I fully agree!
XBMC: XBMC 12.3 Frodo, Aeon MQ5, Win7 x64
How fast is your tinternet?

Could be trying to download lots of cover art and info with a super slow connection?
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
kcraptor82 Wrote:So I am running XBMC 10.1 latest version on a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on a laptop. For the life of me I can't seem to get this stupid thing to stop lagging. I have my movies / tv shows / music on my main desktop and I am using the laptop to stream everything to my 42” LCD. I am using the Ethernet, not the wireless to connect to my network. The laptop has the following specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile 1.8Ghz
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667
Storage: 120GB SATA 5400 RPM
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1270

Now I know it is not much, but for christ sake, this should be enough to push this software. It don't matter what I am doing, it will lag when I try and move between movie slections, etc. I am also running a Gateway MCE remote using EventGhost. So far, I have EventGhost programmed perfectly for my remote, but the stupid XBMC lags so much that sometimes when I hit a button on the remote it goes like twice, even thou I hit the button once. Anyhow, I can get over that, but I am so sick and tired of the software lagging so bad! Things that I try to do: (of course running stock skin)

Videos-> Movies-> Title-> (Select Movie)-> More Info-> Get Thumb-> = Takes Forever to load!!!!

Sometimes even getting to that selection screen takes forever!!! Same with loading any fanart, etc.

So my question is, what the hell is wrong with this software. Do I need to run a earlier build or what? Maybe Eden 11 will fix this, because I so wanna just throw my remote at my TV because of this god awful lag! Any suggestions? Maybe screw with advancesettings.xml or whatever? Anything would be better then this junk atm!

I highly doubt it is a problem with XBMC or your settings in advancedsettings.xml rather it is likely a problem with your system(s)/network. Try starting from scratch and only add a small selection of movies to start with and store their metadata/fanart locally and see if that makes a difference
SavellM Wrote:How fast is your tinternet?

Could be trying to download lots of cover art and info with a super slow connection?

+1

He could also have alot of services/process running in background which would slow down the UI.
You need to see how much cpu/ram is in use with and without xbmc running. You laptop specs are fine, you probably just have alot going on in the background. A clean installation wouldnt hurt either.
Jimmer Wrote:Wow, way to stop people wanting to help you!

Are you running any other processes in the background? Have you enabled dirty-regions?

You've not really pastebin'ed a log, which is normally the bare-minimum necessary to get a dev to help you. I guess the demanding tone of your original post has probably done for you anyway. Tip: calling someone's hard work "junk" probably won't make them jump through hoops for you. Just a little food for thought......

I do apologize if I sounded like I was insulting the software. It was early in the morning and I was very frustrated. Let me say that I have a lot of respect for the programmers, and XBMC is the best I have seen! I was mostly calling the lag I was experiencing junk, not the software! How may I enable dirty-regions? Also what does this feature do exactly?

>>X<<' Wrote:Not with all the artwork that needs to be loaded especially 1920x1080 fanart

You need to use dds in advancesettings.xml and don't expect it to work instantly because it takes time to encode all the images to dds and your need to scroll through your library for this to happen

This is what I have in my advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

stensgaard Wrote:first of xbmc is not slow, in general!
on my system, it's faster than anything else I have ever used as a front end! Smile

so you might want to try and narrow down where it goes wrong:

1: cpu load?
2: ram usage?
3: check without your remote, is the lag still there if you use the keyboard?
4: not sure which skin you use, but try the default one
5: do a clean install (make a backup first)

and as suggested above, be sure to post your log file, if you want anyone to help you!

1: CPU shouldn't be loaded down – Bare OS installed with Aero & everything possible turned off!
2: RAM should be good also – 2GB installed from original 512MB
3: Remote is using EventGhost – Problem could lay within this software
4: Skin: using default skin, thought of that too
5: Install: Clean install on a clean system

Jimmer Wrote:Could be that the database has got mangled..... deleting your userdata and restarting xbmc will let you start from scratch with a clean everything....

No reason to delete userdata since this was already a clean install on a clean OS install. I have tried to delete NFO and fanart.jpt, etc and I exported library to single files.

DejaVu Wrote:Turned on Video Hardware acceleration in the System menu?

I have not done that yet. I haven't seen that option, where might that be?

SavellM Wrote:How fast is your tinternet?

Oh my internet shouldn't be the issues. I have 20MB down / 1.75 up cable!! Now might be an issue with my router. I am running a Buffalo 54g router with a tomato firmware.

Shaolin Wrote:I highly doubt it is a problem with XBMC or your settings in advancedsettings.xml rather it is likely a problem with your system(s)/network. Try starting from scratch and only add a small selection of movies to start with and store their metadata/fanart locally and see if that makes a difference

Like stated, internet is fast, and router should be able to keep up, but yet I could be wrong. Now when you mention of storing data locally, you mean on the device / laptop that is streaming the content to my TV, correct?

dsimages Wrote:+1

He could also have alot of services/process running in background which would slow down the UI.
You need to see how much cpu/ram is in use with and without xbmc running. You laptop specs are fine, you probably just have alot going on in the background. A clean installation wouldn’t hurt either.

As mentioned, this is a clean load of Windows 7 with everything I could think of to turn off. Services, Aero, Search, etc. Only thing I have running is Avast Anti-Virus for obvious reasons. I even turn off the boot logo and have XBMC boot upon start-up. This machine sole purpose is for XBMC, that’s it!

Other then all that, I do appreciate the amount of responses I have gotten back, even thou I sounded the way I did. Thank you so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC So Freakin Slow!!! WHY1