Llano or sandybridge
To be honest, unless it's a high bitrate 1080p video (or a straight BD rip), and the TV is a top quality set, you probably won't be able to tell if your TV is showing VGA or DVI along a short run, especially at 720p. Purists will have a fit but the quality is almost identical to the naked eye, as long as you use a good quality VGA cable of course.

The longer the analog cable run, the worse it gets as the cable will pick up more interference. Digital cables (DVI-D or HDMI) either work at full quality, or they don't work at all. I switched my 10m run along the living room wall from VGA to DVI-D, and it made a seriously noticeable improvement, but on the shorter runs from my laptop & Xbox 360 to my TV, I can't tell any difference at all with 5m HDMI vs 5m VGA cables. Hence I'm switching my Xbox back to VGA once I get the new HTPC, as I'll be one HDMI input short on the TV, I have to do it somehow.

I think you might be right about wake-from-USB, although I've not seen any definite info on the Gigabyte forums or on here, but my old Asus A8N board definitely used to have wake on USB (keyboard space bar did it) so I can't believe it's not that common. And it should be easy to program any USB remote/IR receiver to "press space" for you and switch on the PC but it does have to be set in BIOS.

As regards PSU, anything Scan sell will be good quality. Their reputation depends on it.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
I think I've found the perfect motherboard that does HDMI and DVI-D!
ASROCK A75 Pro4 M http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A75%20Pro4

In the manual it states:

1. D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI monitors cannot be enabled at the same
time. You can only choose the combination: DVI-D + HDMI, or HDMI
+ D-Sub

Woohoo!
I bought a cheap Asrock mobo and the VGA (D-Sub) is trash. Obviously the output electronics are very cheap. VGA can look good but onboard VGA on Asrock boards does not look good.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Llano or sandybridge0