Airplay video from iPad/iPhone to ATV2 XBMC issues
First of all, thanks dev-team for getting Airplay implemented in XBMC. It's great not to have to exit XBMC and use the native frontrow Airplay!

I'm however having issues when airplaying videos from my iPad/iPhone to my ATV2 with nightly builds (currently running the one from nov 26th or 27th - not home right now so I can't double check). Most of the time when I try to play video from i.e. the YouTube app (but the same happens for other airplay enabled third party apps, and videos in Safari) - XBMC goes into audio-visualisation mode. Maybe I need to do everything in some sort of specific order - but it always happens if I try to switch over to the Airplay in XBMC mid clip (and usually you have started the clip to get into the video player where you can change to an airplay target).

If I switch back to local iPad play, switch over again .. and try restarting the clip from the start a couple of times.. switch back to the ATV2 target and so on and keep fiddling around, eventually the video clip can start playing correctly on the ATV2.

I've had this issue on all nightlies I've tried/installed since Airplay was introduced - and I'm just curious since everyone else seems to have a super smooth experience with airplaying to XBMC (except for those not getting it to work at all). For me, every time I try to airplay video - I need to fiddle around quite a bit before it plays video (and doesn't just show an audio visualisation). It feels like it would be less of a hassle to actually exit XBMC and use the native frontrow implementation with the amount of fiddling I regularly have to do to make it work - so I might be missing something...

I've only had minor issues with playing audio, that seems to work just fine most of the time.

Target: ATV2 is running iOS 4.3, native airplay disabled, nightlies
Sources: iPad iOS 5.0.1 and iPhone iOS 5.0 - both non-jailbroken
Network: Wifi iPad/iPhone -> Airport Extreme -> ATV2 wired ethernet

Anyone else having the same issues, or is it just me?

(I was reading about people having problems with ipv6, but since this is not from iTunes on a mac, is there something I could do here?)

// Per
ipv6 is only an issue with itunes ... beside that i can tell you that it works as expexted for me ... only difference - my ipad is still on 4.3 ... so might be some incompatibility with ios5 clients? no clue - can't check.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz: First of all, thanks for the effort you're putting into this platform. It is awesome.

I had the same issues when I was still running 4.3 on my iPhone AFAIK. I mostly airplay from my iPad however, and I was running ios 5 beta on the ipad when this was introduced in the nightlies.

If anyone with iOS 5 on an ipad/iphone can confirm that it works well for them - then my problem is most likely localized to my setup.

The big point at this stage was however getting the confirmation on that it SHOULD be as smooth as using native airplay, so thanks. Before now I didn't know if everyone else had the same kind of fiddling around to get it to work, but I was just the first one to bitch about it.. Wink

Downgrading my iPad/iPhone isn't really an option - but since I now know that this is not the way it should be, what I can do tonight is to take a look at moving my second ATV2 over to nightlies aswell. (Up until now I've kept it at latest "stable" release of 10.0.0-9 that was available through regular apt-get). Maybe I'll have a more usable experience there - or if not, I've at least confirmed it's not just on one specific instance, but could be ios/network/whatever else that's the problem.

If no success on the second ATV2, I can borrow one or two dev-devices from the office tomorrow that are still on 4.2 / 4.3.

I'll try to post my findings here for future reference even if noone else seems to have the problem I do right now.

// Per
posting a log (enable debug in settings before) also might give me some points ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Airplay video from iPad/iPhone to ATV2 XBMC issues0