[ATV2] Stutter or Jitter playback
Hi all,

first of all, thanks for everyone joining in on this. This is definately the most fun Ive had with a black box ... ever Nerd

Unfortunately, I suffer from videos stutters og jitters. Every few seconds, the video "skips" a bit, especially on panning scenes, or with fast movement.

It is quite noticable, unfortunately, and it happens during the entire movie. I also have som issues with the files sometimes buffer, though this has been better with the last nightlies for some reason.

ATV2: 4.3
Nightly: 28. nov
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/v6XGaVnr
Mediainfo: http://pastebin.com/bsgrrnLW

Every MKV 720p/1080p in my library suffers from this issue, so I justed posted the logs for a random file.

Appriciate ANY help regarding this!

In advance, thanks guys! Smile

EDIT: My setup:

ATV -> HDMI -> Samsung LED
ATV -> Optical -> Receiver

Both DTS and AC3 are turned on, and sound working through SPDIF.
Audio out is 16 bit on the native ATV menu.
sounds like a common 60hz with 24fps problem ... nothing we can do about it - atv2 refreshrate is out of our control...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for replying Memphiz, nevertheless, the jidder seems way more comprenensive than the standard 24fps/60hz issues.

I have outputed the old xbox (component), as well as an WD TV Live to the TV before, without any real noticable stutter/jidder at all.

Is there something in the log that might indicate other issues?

Thanks again,
Leo
Is this on a Samsung TV? If so try turning off Auto Motion Plus if it's on already. It was mentioned by another user in another thread (I forget which) and it seems to work better for me with it off on my Samsung.
Hi,

actually, it was me in that other thread Smile

Yes, with motion plus off, the stutter/jidder isn't that noticable. However, IMHO, I think the picture quality with motion plus on is superb contra off. With the engine off, it seems like everything is running much less smoother if you know what i mean.

However, i read some more on the whole 60hz/50hz, 24 fps etc issue, and this seems like a common issue with the Apple TV 2 in general.

Apple won't let users decide which refresh rate (50hz/60hz) the Apple TV 2 will output to the TV. This is agreed upon during a EDID handshake with the television, and ATV2 will allways choose the "higher" one avaliable.

This basically sucks.

If the Apple TV cannot set this automaticly according to the media which are outputting, at least let the users decide in advance of playback which refresh rate to be used. I mean, come on ... No

This may be a bigger problem on the new Samsung LED + ATV2 + XBMC than on other setups for some reason, but unfortunately, it makes my ATV2 obsolete ... Huh

EDIT: This problem yield regardless of native ATV playback or XBMC ... Apple should really do something about it!
Try my thread about a similar issue to yours.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115963

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Stutter or Jitter playback0