Installing two xbmc versions on same computer?
Im wondering if its possible to install two versions pf xbmc on the same windows.

The reason is that i want one for movies and one for music, and now you are wondering why again. And the reason comes down to sound. In movies iv setup ford HD audio like DTSHD and so on trough HDMI. But when i play music i play through USB that goes to a DAC for best stereo sound.
And i dont want to change the settings all the time. And it would not work, it not only me thats using this system and the other dont know sh... About pc and so on..

So is it possible to install two versions of xbmc in windows 7? Big Grin
You can install as many portable builds as you want - but you can only run one at a time.
Simply put you install xbmc to a folder, create a shortcut, edit the shortcut properties by adding ' -p' (not the quote marks but you need the space) after the target and start xbmc from the shortcut. When it runs it will create a portable_data folder within the folder you installed to which contains everything that would normally end up elsewhere (user data etc). The next install is identical apart from the name of the installation folder - just edit the name of each shortcut to match so they don't get mixed up..
There's plenty on portable builds here - be aware that you need to be careful when updating as all your settings are in the main folder.
trogggy Wrote:You can install as many portable builds as you want - but you can only run one at a time.
Simply put you install xbmc to a folder, create a shortcut, edit the shortcut properties by adding ' -p' (not the quote marks but you need the space) after the target and start xbmc from the shortcut. When it runs it will create a portable_data folder within the folder you installed to which contains everything that would normally end up elsewhere (user data etc). The next install is identical apart from the name of the installation folder - just edit the name of each shortcut to match so they don't get mixed up..
There's plenty on portable builds here - be aware that you need to be careful when updating as all your settings are in the main folder.

I dont see exactly where in tye shortcut i need to place this -p
Where is it im using windows 7

I tried adding -p after the target in the shortcut but now i only get an error...
Edit i run as admin an now it starts Big Grin

Iv installed 2 xbmc one under programs/xbmc and the other under programs/xbmc_music
You don't need to install two versions you can do this with separate profiles which would allow you to select which one at log on plus its very easy to switch between the two

Or there's an app for windows called SoundSwitch that allows you to switch output device with a single keystroke or remote button
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing two xbmc versions on same computer?0