Thumb cache increased
the general thumb cache was increased 16-fold to 64k thumbs. included in the tools directory is a python script which will update your existing thumb cache. it's a quick and dirty script which renames some files, and then sorts them into the new directory hierarchy. it does not produce any output.

if you do not run the script, you'll need to re-cache file & folder thumbs while traversing your bookmarks, and recreate all your thumbs for pictures.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xbmc/xbmc/tools/
(you wont see the python script until the commit hits anonymous cvs.)

it defaults to q:\thumbs as the thumbs cache (which is the same as $home\thumbs). if you've changed your thumb location, change the thumbdir variable in the script. be sure to double-slash the entire path!!

Quote:thumbdir = "q:\\thumbs"

this change only affects the general thumb cache which is used for generic folder & file thumbs, pictures, and xbe icons. (imdb lookup on a folder are included here. it caches the image as if it was a folder.jpg found in the folder.)

excluded are the thumbs that are visible when in my video->title view, all album thumbs, and kai avatars.

** edit **

sorry, i inadvertantly committed the script with my thumb directory still in it. i updated cvs with the true default location but you *may* get the old one. be sure to double check it before running it.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
worked great, thanks.

also on another note, the thumb caching in 'my pictures' is great now. it flies through those with thumbs as one would expect. great work =)
hello.

i'm so happy to see this! i grabbed a new build yesterday and the high quality thumbs looks excellent! thanks!

i posted a feature request back on feb 15th titled "increase thumbnail quality/resolution?" and found out later (not in the thread, but through im) that there was a memory issue that prevented an increase in resolution.

i'm so happy you hard-working coders managed to resolve this. i'm curious, what resolution are the thumbnails now?

gapless playback and high quality thumbs. nice!
one little bug now id like an option to refresh thumbnails or a thumbnail, because if i change the pic with another and use same name i get old image as thumb, then i have to find it thumbs database and names are hard to work out and well it would be nice to be able to completly refresh a thumb or all thumbs

cheers
kevinsatori,

as far as i know, there were no changes to the thumb quality. thumbs have always been cached at a fixed 128x128 resolution. this change only allowed more thumbs to be cached.

bp,

i know what your saying. cached thumbs are always preferenced over remote thumbs, so if you change the thumb on your share, you dont see the updated thumb. maybe this could be worked into the context menu to refresh the thumbs in the current directory. lemme think about it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumb cache increased0