Unique (Maybe) Buffering Problem
All,

Humbly seeking out you collective wisdom...

I'm having buffering problems. Not consistent, not completely dependent on bandwith/filesize issues.

My Setup. This is a dedicated Win 7 box. All files are served from a centralized WHS server over wired lan - 10/100 - the server is made up many USB drives, about 14 tb right now, I think.

Files - my files are standard and run the gamut, but the top end are 10-12 GB movies. I see the behavior across all file types, big mkvs, vobs, even 300mb avi tv shows.

The Errors. I'm new to logging, but I tried it last night. I was getting what appeared to be standard error messages - WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio[and Video])::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available. I read several forum posts, and did some troubleshooting related to the suggestions...but I don't think they are ultimately my problem. For example, I checked throughput using task manager networking settings and I'm never getting to greater than 50%, even on big mkvs. I have more than enough horsepower on the rig, but I also tried the Revo-esque settings - rendering, dvxa, full window, etc., with no change in the problem.

My best theory - Right now, I think I'm having some type of network dropout 10-15 seconds at a time, but relatively infrequently. I think that I might see the same behavior simply surfing on my laptop too, but I could be drawing a false parallel. Basically, it seems the initial request will get lost some times. The call for information simply doesn't go to where it's supposed to. Think of it this way, in the web context, after clicking a link chrome would be waiting on a webpage for 20 seconds, but if I hit the link a second time, the page immediately loads. I have a number of hubs and switches on the lan, but I think only one assigning DHCP. But I do see some weirdness in things that are clearly on the network not being "seen" on the network in windows 7. I can specifically address them (i.e., \\mediaserver) but mediaserver doesn't consistently automatically get discovered in my network places. A sub-theory...is some sort of ip or other conflict to blame? Theory number two would be a sporadic failure of the server to feed a constant data stream. That's about all I have.

So...
How can I test/fix this?
Do you have any better theories?
Talk to me like you would to a small child...while I have a decent understanding of some of this, network stuff is not my strong suit.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

Jay

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unique (Maybe) Buffering Problem0