noob help please, before I splash the cash..
Hiya!

I am thinking about ordering the following items for use in my first HTPC project
  1. ASUS AT5IONT-I Deluxe
  2. 2Gb DDR3 1333 SODIMM (I know this board is v. picky)
  3. OCZ vertex2 50Gb sataII SSD
  4. TBS Dual DVB-S2 6981 tuner card
  5. Nexus Psile case & DVD writer and 2.5" HDD mounting frame
In the short term I will use a second 2.5” HDD for storage but longer term plan to switch to a NAS (Synology 211 for similar, wired connection or HD movies etc.).

Things bothering me Huh are:
  1. Have a made any silly/bad choices?
  2. Do I have enough power from the mobo psu for the two drives and tv tuner card?
  3. Do I need any extra leads (for internal connections)?
  4. Are there any better mobo options out there for this project (mini-itx, low power, fanless/quiet, nvidia)?

Any help would be most appreciated Big Grin

Cheers,

Andy
If the only thing you're going to do is use it as a media center I'm sure it would be fine. The PSU is a bit on the small side but as long as you don't have any plans on upgrading to a discrete video card or more than one hard disk it should suffice. I saw some reports of the pci-e slot not working and some people with overscan issues. I personally like to go big with a full size stereo system looking cases and 450+ PSU's but all my PC's get used for all types of things. Stuff them all with hard drives and when I run out of drive bays duct tape another one to the side.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
This board only has two internal SATA ports. I have extra SATA ports on a PCIe card, but as you're getting a tuner, the only way you can use an SSD, HDD, and DVD is if you find a SATA -> eSATA cable and plug it into the eSATA port on the back of the board.

As a side effect of this, SATA power connector supplied with the board only has two connections on it. You're going to have to split it somewhere to use all three devices.

Speaking of power, that aux power connection on the tuner card had me worried, but it turns out that it's only necessary if you intend on using DiSEqC controls. If you do, then the 90W supply from the board may not be enough for everything.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Looks good

Let me know how that tuner works out
Thanks for your replies. I will probably run the hdd externally as it is only temporary before I get the NAS sorted (either usb or e-sata).

Any other posts/tips/suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Andy.
TBS and Black Gold tuners get awesome reviews on Amazon, should be a good choice that. Can be quite pricey though. I just missed (wasn't looking to buy) a new & boxed single DVB-S2 tuner for £41 yesterday. (I don't have two sat feeds so can't use a dual S2 tuner)

If you buy a powered USB hub (less than a tenner on eBay) you can use that to power all your external hard drives - up to 8 - obviously don't use it for data as it'll be very slow!
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
Just to feedback, the build is going well, i got the basics working and am now installing mythbuntu etc. The Kingston KVR1333D3S9/2G memory worked find with factory BIOS level. I did have to mod the case slightly to mount the fan to fit over the heatsink and also drill and tap a couple of holes to fit the 2.5" hdd holder for the ssd. Also, the case comes with a slim dvd drive setup for ide and needs a converter for sata. I hope to try the tuner sometime this week, and will post results (the thought of getting myth-tv to work has me sweating already..)

Andy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
noob help please, before I splash the cash..0