[ATV2] Subtitles (.srt) not working
I´m running the latest nightly build on a jailbroken ATV2. Streaming videos from my NAS (a Synology DS211J running DSM3.2, for those interested) to the ATV2, is totally painless. Except for subtitles.

I mainly use .srt-files, and these are of course properly named the same as the video files. They even show up in the file list alongside the videos. However, they won´t display during the film.

For the record, the NAS operating system (DSM 3.2), has native support for .srt-files. Which is why I think the problem has to be XBMC related.

Are there anyone with experience from this or a similar setup? Shouldn´t be that unusual, I hope. And could anyone point me in the right direction with this?

As for the .log-file, I haven´t got it at the moment, as I´m at work. If it is needed, I´ll post it when I get home.

Thanks a lot.
A NAS with native support for a specific file type? That's.. odd.. As a NAS it should just treat all file types the same. I don't really understand how it could support one but not another.

I can only guess that you're using something like UPnP/DLNA rather than actual file sharing. According to http://www.synology.com/dsm/cross_platform.php?lang=enu the NAS and software supports NFS, SMB, FTP, AFP, and WebDAV, any of which would be better than using UPnP/DLNA (you can probably have multiple protocols enabled incase you need UPnP/DLNA on another device such as an xbox360).

I don't own one of these NAS, so I'm not sure how to go about configuring these things, but someone else here might. That or try to google or even check youtube. I would recommend trying NFS first, and if that doesn't work try SMB or AFP.
And beside that i use srt subtitles with subtitles addon every here and there and it works for me ... so not a general issue ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I also have a Synology NAS and didn't understand it either. My guess would be the UPnP as weel, which I wouldn't recommend.

Personally, I'm using the FTP protocol (which you can active in the Synology Control Panel) to access my media shared on the atv2/xbmc.
Hi, all, and thanks for answering.

I'm sorry if I created confusion. Maybe I used the wrong term when I wrote "native support". My point was just to clarify that the Synology DiskStation manual says that .srt is a format that is supported with DLNA/UPnP enabled DMA.

You're correct that I use UPNP/DLNA to connect to my DMA which is a ATV2. My problem is probably lack of knowledge, I suspect. Ned Scott, could you explain to me how using what you call "actual file sharing" would be better in this case, than UPNP/DLNA? I mean, why would the protocol interfer with how subtitles are handled? I thought the difference would lie within the XBMC interface, for instance?

And regarding the subtitle addon, I've installed this, but the only thing I get it to do, is to download subtitles from selected sources via the OSD.

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry about my lack of skill here.
I'm not really sure of the full details myself, but DLNA/UPnP will sometimes only show certain files and the file paths are dynamic making them harder to use in XBMC for library views (DVD covers, fanart, etc). It's not a normal file sharing protocol where it just gives full access to the files. It could be that it should work just fine in this set up, but I've seen several posts where UPnP simply has problems that are easily solved by using another protocol. Since your NAS supports these protocols then that would be your best/easiest bet.

It would also let you scan in cover art, summaries, fanart, etc.
I would definitely recommend you, lapsklaus, to enable the FTP on the Synology and set that as a video source instead of the UPnP.
If you run into troubles, drop me a PM as I could provide screenshots.

SMB (Samba) should work as well, but I had slowliness problems with it playing some contents.
Ned Scott and Samukas: Thanks a lot, both of you. This is interesting to hear. I´ll definitely try enabling/using FTP instead of UPNP. Samukas: Thanks a lot. I´ll try SMB too and post here when I´ve tried it! :-)
upnp didn't work well for me either. All the png and jpg files werent getting pulled with the video files. As soon as I changed to SMB it was a nonissue. I'm trying to get NFS setup on my freenas right now as NFS, says consensus, is the best way to handle the files.
I never figured out how to add the Synology via SMB. When choosing add source via SMB in the XBMC interface, nothing comes up, even though Windows File Service is enabled in the Synology control panel.

However, I managed to add the Synology as a video source via FTP, which made subtitles work.
Also, there's a Synology NFS setup in the wiki. I helped with the screenshots (Canadave did the writeup), so if you need help with that just pm me

There shouldn't be a need to switch if you're running fine over FTP.

Seems like you have your issue resolved with FTP, but here's one tip: i've had occasional issues when naming a movie with spaces, e.g.: [30 Minutes or Less (2011)] instead of periods [e.g. 30.Minutes.or.Less.2011] - using periods in the naming have always worked for me to pick up srts automatically

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Subtitles (.srt) not working0