AudioEngine and ATV2
Let me start out by saying this is not a request for the new AudioEngine, nor is it a "when will we have it" post.

Has anyone (mainly Dev's) used the latest iteration of the new AudioEngine with the ATV2? Will it be a "gamechanger" type feature... will it help clear up some of the jittery playback some of us see? Will it help the decoding of my unencoded 1080p bluray rips (using makemkv) that have DTS audio.. and result in smother playback? Will it help the 60fps TV shows that I record with MythTV?

I am asking because I still have bluray rips and TV recordings that just cannot be played on this little black box, so I am on the fence about using it or building another ION unit for the bedroom.

I am also fully aware that real life interrupted the AE development, and that it will not be included in Eden. I am looking ahead, post Eden, toward when AE goes into trunk and the nightlies.
"Will it help the 60fps TV shows that I record with MythTV?"

No, AudioEngine has nothing to do with video decoding and rendering.
I guess one way to put it (and a fair question) is if AudioEngine will be less CPU intensive than the old way of handling audio. This would affect the GUI and any software decoded videos. For this I can only assume yes, but a dev would need to comment to be sure.

Doubtful that it would have any affect on HD video, though. Unless XBMC ever maxes out on the CPU when doing other CPU tasks while HD video (being handled by hardware decoders) is playing. Maybe some streaming issues because of file sharing protocol overhead? Just a guess, though. I'm not a developer/programmer.
Ned Scott Wrote:I guess one way to put it (and a fair question) is if AudioEngine will be less CPU intensive than the old way of handling audio.

After I went to bed, I realized that I probably should have been clearer in my original question... this is what I am looking for in relation to the ATV2.

Quote:No, AudioEngine has nothing to do with video decoding and rendering.

Is it possible some of the issues are caused by the CPU being overwhelmed by trying to handle the audio?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine and ATV20