XBMC for Android
It's the difference between having an answer and liking the answer. How do you rush volunteers?

If the answer doesn't meet one's expectations then search for alternatives or start brushing up on your coding skills.

Or convince Google that you need it and can pay for the programming....
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
pooh Wrote:ps. Unstuck because 'some team members' did not agree? There are countries out there that are being chased because 'some members' decide (behind closed doors)what is important for the public/population.

'Freaked out when donation stuff was mentioned' ... WhyHuhHuh?

Open Source
Open Discussion
Open Information
Open minded

Unstuck because I messed up and merged the posts about donations. I know I've seen posts before from devs saying they need hardware to work on, but I guess the over-all situation is not about a lack of funds. Plus there was concern that it implies donations = release (soon), and people would get mad when that didn't happen.

This thread does show that we need to be clearer about the situation. People want to know, we want to tell them, but we need to make sure we don't cause more confusion in the process.
Ned Scott Wrote:This thread does show that we need to be clearer about the situation. People want to know, we want to tell them, but we need to make sure we don't cause more confusion in the process.

This is exactly it.

If the problem was availability of hardware, I'm sure the community could solve that. If the problem is the lack of certain code or other assets on android, noting that would allow inexperienced, yet passionate, users to get involved.

In the near decade since I became involved with this community, one thing was always a constant - We are a community. Let's encourage discussion.

And on that note, people are going to keep asking for xbmc on android, for no other reason than that they love xbmc. At least a sticky thread acknowledges that the platform is being looked at, and that there are plans. I imagine these are the most common questions of all.

Team XBMC: Keep up the excellent work.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Coupla thoughts. There's going to be some fun with coordinating added features with the expanding platforms - think PVR or binary addons. The more feature-rich XBMC becomes the harder it is to completely seperate those features from platforms that cannot support them. XBMC already does an amazing job in agnostics, but features * platforms = complexity^2.

The other thought was how well does the underlying "game" loop and GUI refresh play with battery-powered devices?

I can imagine the frantic activity leading up to the Eden beta release, and the scramble to fix things from core-to-skin when the changes get exposed to the wider base of people and platforms. The forums right now are obviously teeming with the inevitible hiccups after such a major re-write serving such a wide technology base.

Now imagine Frodo-beta (or Gandalf-beta?) with his mostly-Android Chinese phone in hand trying to synchronize it with his server while upgrading to Android 5.9.2.

Yikes!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I use XBMC on my iPhone and battery life isn't any worse than the average application. Dirty Regions (even in mode 3) prevents the GUI rendering from sucking the life out of the battery.

Android problems (once there is a port) should actually be easier to take care of than iOS ones (in theory) because of the greater control and documentation on both the hardware and the OS.

PVR builds work just fine on iOS and isn't really a platform dependent thing (XBMC only acts as a front end for PVR, even when it gets officially added. You basically have a PVR backend/server that any XBMC "client" can interface with. )

Android OS or not, the same kind of ARM-based hardware is going to have a big future with XBMC. Tablets and phones aren't even the main focus, but are just happy byproducts of the process (like how iOS development was just for ATV2, but iPad/iPhone support became an added bonus). It's all about the ARM-powered set top boxes and such.
Lightbulb 
While most people read "android" in this thread, apparently are thinking of phones and tablets, but personally I think more in devices like this, this or this (there are virtually hundreds). That is no to say that it would not be cool to have xbmc on a phone or a tablet, but with those small boxes with remote and HDMI, it is way more practical and more in line with how most people uses XBMC.

The hardware is there, and is extremely cheap (even with support for 1080p, Open GL ES, HDMI, wifi...), the problem seem to be that a lot of libraries needed are not ported (yet?) to android. Let's maintain hope, though... many other apps and projects have been ported already.

Now, I must left you, I have an appoint with MAME in my kindle fire tablet... Wink
Thx for the links pointing those devices out pko66. Yeah, you're bang on when many of us assume Android = handheld device.
DDDamian Wrote:The other thought was how well does the underlying "game" loop and GUI refresh play with battery-powered devices?

Say welcome to iOS Smile I have mentioned that it has been a very good testing ground for Android and there are also other embedded XBMC project that are feeding right back into mainline code. All this 'unseen' work will directly contribute to XBMC for Android.
pko66 Wrote:While most people read "android" in this thread, apparently are thinking of phones and tablets, but personally I think more in devices like this, this or this (there are virtually hundreds)...

XBMC or not, I think I'm in love with that first link ( http://www.dealextreme.com/p/android-ful...aaa-102992 )
davilla Wrote:Say welcome to iOS Smile I have mentioned that it has been a very good testing ground for Android and there are also other embedded XBMC project that are feeding right back into mainline code. All this 'unseen' work will directly contribute to XBMC for Android.

Which is davilla-speak for "I changed how that works in the iOS build and it works great there, and when I can adapt the mods it will go mainline"? Laugh
Ned Scott Wrote:XBMC or not, I think I'm in love with that first link ( http://www.dealextreme.com/p/android-ful...aaa-102992 )

The machine looks good but the remote is ugly as sin, lol. At least they suport VC-1 and MPEG 2, so 15% of the Blu Rays out there and all HDTV recordings (that weren`t re-encoded by "somebody") actually work, unlike the ATV2 and the PI.
Ned Scott Wrote:I use XBMC on my iPhone and battery life isn't any worse than the average application. Dirty Regions (even in mode 3) prevents the GUI rendering from sucking the life out of the battery. . .

Not quite. Currently there are no major differences between the different Dirty Regions Modes. If you enable <nofliptimeout> it will make a huge improvement but will still use +>15-20% cpu-load during idling. It's quite easy to notice the difference using "top" on the IOS-device.

As for now a standard installation suck more power in "idle" mode than running any of the in core players, therefore always quit xbmc after watching a video when running on batteries.

Hopefully there will show up performance tuned versions for IOS and Android in the future...
1. XBMC: http://github.com/FlyingRat/xbmc (ffmpeg-head-inc-xbmc-patches)
2. FFmpeg: http://github.com/FlyingRat/FFmpeg (ffmpeg-head-with-xbmc-custom-patches)
3. XBMC-updated-FFmpeg-binaries (just dev snapshots, no regular distros)
Oh, I only mention modes because iOS is glitchy on anything but mode 3. Some people go "why bother with mode 3 if it doesn't make things much faster?", but battery life is one reason for that.
The official name for the dirty-region glitch is 'shimmy-shimmy' Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Android0