Remote problem/help
Hey all,
About to purchase a HTPC for the lounge room. Had a remote already but having issues with the buttons and keymaps etc. I have the Leadtek Dongle Gold remote control and most of the buttons on it work with xbmc but a few dont. Now i have had a fiddle around with the keymapedit/showkey programs to figure it out but sadly i cannot get the keys to change. Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on working this out.

An example is that i have 2 buttons which are marked on the remote as a little menu icon and the other as a return to "previous screen" icon. Now the menu button actually is "\" on the keyboard and "previous screen" acts as the menu button (takes me back to home screen instead of the last folder,etc).

Sorry if this is hard to understand, ask for more info if needed.
Also if this post needs to be moved, do it please. Thought i would try here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
What does ShowKey report when you press the two buttons? Post the XML Showkey generates for the two buttons here, and say what you want them to do. I can give you a keyboard.xml to map those buttons.

JR
cheers for the reply.

Ok for the menu button (which i want to make it go back to the home menu):

<l mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, l, 3)</l>
KeyID= 76(0x4C) - VK_L, Mod = Ctrl

and for the previous screen 1:

<escape>Notification(Key, escape, 3)</escape>
KeyID= 27 (0x18) - VK_ESCAPE
Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml"

and click OK. If you are prompted to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <l mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(home)</l>
      <escape>ParentDir</escape>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Close Notepad and save the changes.

JR
Yay! it works! cheers for that jhsrennie.
Now if i wanted to do this with other buttons, is there a list of the ActivateWindow(Home), ParentDir, etc. commands so i can map other buttons?? I can figure out the rest, just would like to see a list of them Smile
Sorry to be a nuisance.

Thanks again.
Ok, have come to another issue with the key mapping. The directional buttons work fine on the remote but the volume up and down buttons are actually mapped to left and right. So im guessing i cant map left and right to vol up and down due to the direction buttons then becoming that, correct??

What to do??
There comes a point where soaking the remote in petrol and setting fire to it is the best, or at least the most satifying, strategy.

Use ShowKey to compare what the direction buttons send with what the volume buttons send. It seems exceedingly odd that the volume buttons would send left and right keypresses. I've never encountered a remote that did this.

For a list of all the actions and functions you can use in key mappings see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Action_IDs and http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=List_of_Built_In_Functions

JR
Here's my volume buttons:

Volume up = <right>Notification(Key, right, 3)</right>
Volume down = <left>Notification(Key, left, 3)</left>

Which is the exact same as left and Right directional buttons.

So weird.
I can buy a new remote (looking at http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main...s_id=11589). According the the reviews that one will work out of the box correct?
According to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...ontrol_Kit that's an eHome remote, so it's a good choice for XBMC. I must admit that I've never used a Hauppauge remote so I can't comment.

Any eHome remote is good. I normally recommed ebay for buying remotes, though the Australian ebay is relatively small so you might have problems finding a good remote. However if you don't mind buying from Hong Kong/China you'll find ahuge variery of remotes there.

JR
Well i have gone ahead and bought that remote, will b here next week. Cheers for the help jhsrennie Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote problem/help0