Longevity/stability of builds
With the help of this group I have successfully set up my ATV2 and I am starting to "customize" it to my liking.
My question:
I would like to set up an ATV2 for one of my kids but they live a long way from me. Is XBMC with IceFilms add-on stable enough that I could do this and not have to worry about it "going down" and having to get the ATV resent to me?
Great group/ good info.
Thanks
Yes, it should be stable enough that they can use it without a bunch of technical problems cropping up, as long as you've got everything set up properly. That's not to say they will *never* have a problem with it; just explain how occasionally it may crash or lock up, and if it does, just reboot the ATV2 (either explain how to do it from a command line window, or just tell them to pull the plug and put it back in). Make sure to set it up with a stable skin (I find reFocus to be excellent).

Bear in mind that by default (I'm pretty sure), Icefilms and any other addons will auto-update on the ATV2; so if you send it to them and the addon auto-updates and it winds up somehow being a bad version, they may run into problems there.

Worse comes to worst, you could always ssh or FTP into the ATV2 remotely, if they can set their network up to give you access.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Canadave:
Thank you fellow Maritimer. I never thought about using SSH if anything ever went awry; a trip to Alberta would probably not be as cost effective. Smile
ffergie Wrote:Canadave:
Thank you fellow Maritimer. I never thought about using SSH if anything ever went awry; a trip to Alberta would probably not be as cost effective. Smile

You're welcome--and since I just priced out plane tickets to Edmonton, I know exactly what you mean Wink
Off topic but I got an email from AC that had one way to Calgary or Edmonton for $185 (plus). Not a bad deal.
ffergie Wrote:Off topic but I got an email from AC that had one way to Calgary or Edmonton for $185 (plus). Not a bad deal.

Yeah, not bad, I think that's about what I found too. Of course you multiply that by two, add in taxes and fees, and it winds up being about $10,000 Wink
Math like that, you must work for the government Wink
or an airline Sad
Are you currently finding your ATV2 set up stable?

I am on the same firmware and nightly as you, and my iceFilms and NaviX have begun to get very buggy over the past few days. A lot of freezing and outright crashes.
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
Yes, my setup is fairly stable. First thing I'd check if you're suddenly seeing crashes is to check to make sure you've got enough disk space on your ATV2 (run df -h from a terminal window and check the largest partition, make sure you've got at least 1GB or more free). Failing that, post logs and I'm sure someone can assist.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Longevity/stability of builds0