ATV2 and Time Capsule
I won't let this go Smile

Well, I have tested Bonic's tip on wired connection, did not do not much for me, but it could nevertheless have a saying in all this.

Could you maybe give a bit more detail on your setup?

However, I tested the previous ACK settings, and this definately speeds up wifi. (by the time writing this, I am 20 minutes into a 1080p movie without buffering, which does not often occur!).

So ... my "fix" ..... (...wait a sec ....) nope ... there it buffers again :/

Anyone, my "fix" was that I use a wifi connection with the ATV 50cm away from the TC. This did not work as implied in this post. Eek
I have tried the fix as suggested by Bionic, but without any improvement of performance. The buffer are still there Sad
After all the efforts to delete the buffer problem, my situation is:

A) Wired: buffer every 5 - 10 mins with 720p movies, every 2 mins with 1080p movies

B) Wi-Fi: No buffer with 720p movies, but with 1080p movies buffer related to movie bitrate.

The Time Capsule is a real delusionNo

Bionic, can you explain better your configuration? This is the last hope.

P.S.: But, in your experience, the Time Capsule has streaming problems only with AppleTv 2 or also with other device, such as iPad, mac mini, etc.?
I'm using my time capsule for a while now and nearly every 720p movie plays through without buffering at all. The only time it buffers is if there is a lot movement or really loud music or explosions. I guess it's due to the limited CPU power of the ATV.

Im on WIFI and I didn't tinker with any settings at all. My ATV is still on 4.2.1

I can't really say anywith regarding 1080p, it's pretty worthless if u watch it on an ATV anyways Laugh
Benjopa Wrote:I have tried the fix as suggested by Bionic, but without any improvement of performance. The buffer are still there Sad
After all the efforts to delete the buffer problem, my situation is:

A) Wired: buffer every 5 - 10 mins with 720p movies, every 2 mins with 1080p movies

B) Wi-Fi: No buffer with 720p movies, but with 1080p movies buffer related to movie bitrate.

The Time Capsule is a real delusionNo

Bionic, can you explain better your configuration? This is the last hope.

P.S.: But, in your experience, the Time Capsule has streaming problems only with AppleTv 2 or also with other device, such as iPad, mac mini, etc.?

I have to say that I have used other streaming devices, such as WD TV Live and Xbox (1. gen), on my time capsule. This has been the SMB protocol. Never ever experienced issues ... so from what I can see, this definately is a problem with either the ATV2, XBMC, or a combination of these with the TC.
GnarusLeo Wrote:....this definately is a problem with either the ATV2, XBMC, or a combination of these with the TC.

Thanks. This hearten me very much. I think that i keep my Time capsule and, in the next future, take a mac mini with graphic card AMD to use as media center.
Until then i 'll use only 720p moviesWink
Hello,

Benjopa Wrote:Bionic, can you explain better your configuration? This is the last hope.

There is nothing specific in y setup, excepted this strange problem with my cable modem (where automatic speed negociation seems to affect network performance). I'm basically using default TCP setting.

- ATV2 is wired with a CAT5e cable (of good quality)
- No name resolution occurs (used a different name for the nex TC, but didn't want to rescan my library so I have modified the ATV hosts file (10.0.1.1 oldtcname)), maybe this have an effect but I'm a bit skeptical
- ATV2 4.1.1 (GreenPoison RC6) if it can be jailbreak related

The TCP ACK setting only affects Wifi performance, but it is better wired now so i reverted ATV tuning...

I just have a few 1080p files to test with, maybe they are more compressed than yours (my "burn tests" where done with a 14GB Avatar BDRIP, and a smaller but more problematic Raiponse BDRIP of 8GB).

No other streaming device to test...
bonic38 Wrote:Hello,

- No name resolution occurs (used a different name for the nex TC, but didn't want to rescan my library so I have modified the ATV hosts file (10.0.1.1 oldtcname)), maybe this have an effect but I'm a bit skeptical...

Thanke for your reply, but i don't understand very well the second point (in the quote): what is ATV hosts file? How can i modify them?
I have set a home network and address every device manually, so for example my ATV2 has 10.0.x.x. and my iPad 10.0.x.y. In the configuration of Time Capsule in the domain i have wrote "local" and address manually also the Time Capsule address. I left blank the NAT address.
Have I make only chaos?
After using my setup for several days I confirm I don't have any buffering issues at all. I stream both 720p and 1080p MKV files (the biggest one I have is 14 GB - of course ATV2 plays them as 720p). I also tried to measure the transfer rate between my imac and TC, it is around 50 MB/s (megabytes - not bits) to internal TC drive and 25 MB/s to USB drive connected to TC port. Of course wired gigabit cat 5e.
There is one thing to consider, apart from someoones tip that 1st gen TC is different=better. My TC has WAN port disabled, I don't use NAT and external modem, Wifi is also disabled, DHCP server disabled. LAN Bridge Mode only. I didn't really care for internet access, although now (for XBMC metadata) I just plugged in LAN internet going from router in second socket of TC (not the WAN which is empty), it's still working ok, all the TCP configuration set manually. Maybe running NAT, DHCP, Wi-Fi is just too much for TC, could you try basic configuration ATV2->TC.
radex Wrote:After using my setup ...

Can you type the string that you have used to config the folder to stream in XBMC?
Is anything such as: afp://10.0.x.x:548/Time capsule/Folder?

Another question: but if your TC is not linked to Modem with Wan Port, how can work the internet connection? You have set PPoE in Time Capsule config?

Thanks
Benjopa Wrote:Can you type the string that you have used to config the folder to stream in XBMC?
Is anything such as: afp://10.0.x.x:548/Time capsule/Folder?

Another question: but if your TC is not linked to Modem with Wan Port, how can work the internet connection? You have set PPoE in Time Capsule config?

Thanks

Yes, I used zeroconfig, where TC was detected with 2 options AFP and SMB, I have choosen SMB, pass blank (guest access on TC) and XBMC immediatelly showed the contents of TC and USB drive. Alternatively I can put smb://10.0.x.x/USBDRIVENAME

I use separate adsl router with NAT in 10.0.x.x - 255 range for local firewalled area and LAN wired connection to TC which has manually configured IP (as all of my devices). TC LAN ports (1 - adsl router, 2 - mac, 3 - ATV2) work as a switch and indeed if I think on that now I am not sure the TC itself got internet access this way. But who cares since TC does not really need it. For software updates it is enough to run AirPort utility on my mac.
Thanks a lot for your explainations, very kind. Can i ask you how disable Wan port? Is there any options to uncheck?
I don't have native english language on the mac (so is the AirPort Utility then) but under the Internet tab the first setting is Ethernet and the second (sharing internet connection) is Off - Bridge mode only. In that case WAN port dissapears from configuration tabs - maybe it still works as a regular Ethernet but I haven't checked this. Anyway the manual says that if you connect TC to the network that already has internet access you should leave the WAN port empty and use one of the Ethernet ports. That's what I did.
Which generation of TC do you have?
Radex, i am sorry, but i have test your settings without success. Actually I think that really Apple changed something that conflicts in someday with XBMC on ATV2. Infatcs, on my old pc, every movies stream without any problem. I resign.
Sorry to hear that Sad Mine still working ok and with the new firecore mediaplayer (1.1.1) there's even smoother and movies load faster, haven't tried new Eden yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 and Time Capsule1