Mediaportal TVserver Video Quality Questions
So I just got my first tv card because I was interested in skinning the pvr and it seemed like there was some good movement with pvr development. I got a hauppauge HVR-1250 and got xbmc playing live tv just fine using the mediaportal tvserver. I am on just basic analog tv (no hd, since I download everything). I got a few questions and I am hoping there is some users who can help me out.

1. Without having hd cable what video settings should I be using with tv server to get the best picture. I can't seem to get a video that fits the whole screen. Would having hd cable give the the option to choose 720x1280?

2. Anyway to speedup the time it takes to load the channel in. It load for about 15-20 seconds and the plays flawless most of the time.

I guess I am just unsure of it is my card, the pvr software, or if it is cable to is hindering the quality. Much thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my issues.
Hello ekim232

Normal you go from Analog -> DVB (Digital) -> HD (Digital) if you are talking about video quality.
Are you sure that you are using a analog signal?
Getting a DVB tuner and a DVB signal would probably speed up your channel loading.
And you would also getting a better picture.
If you only want to use it for skinning I would stick with you current setup.
Thanks for your response.

I am going to send my card back today and get a better one with built in encoders so I don't have to use a 3rd party software. I think that should help with the speed.

I am just starting to read up about tv tuners/signals but from what I am gathering DVB is not for North America.

I am pretty positive it is a analog signal. I ran the analog scan and that is how all my channels were found (it did find them all). I just have my coaxial cable coming straight from the wall to the tuner and I do not get HD channels on my basic cable package.
ekim232 Wrote:I am pretty positive it is a analog signal. I ran the analog scan and that is how all my channels were found (it did find them all). I just have my coaxial cable coming straight from the wall to the tuner and I do not get HD channels on my basic cable package.
Did you scan the digital channels? The line coming into my house gives me about 96 channels when I scan both Analog and digital. I'm not even a cable TV subscriber, only cable Internet.

You may be surprised at what you find...
Thanks for the tip. I did not see the option to look for digital channels. Would you mind telling me where that is located?
If its like my 2250, you should see two tuners... One is the digital mine show up as ATSC/QAM Tuner, and the other as an analog. I scanned the ATSC/QAM and came up with a number of unencrypted channels. Mostly local OTA stations, but a few others. You then link the tuners together to create a hybrid. Ding so will allow TV Server to select the right tuner for the channel you use, as well as show only one real tuner to you clients. If you don't do this it will treat them as two tuners.

If you find something, good on you, if not no harm. Digital is where you'll find any HD broadcasts. That card is capable, you can even hook an antenna to it and pull in locals over the air (OTA).
Thanks for the info. The 2250 is actually the card I traded in for today. I guess when it arrives I will give it a try and see if I get the results I am hoping for.
If you have a TV with digital tuner, you can do a full scan there and see what comes up. You should be able to get the same thing on the PC tuner as your digital tuner. NOT your STB device, that can decrypt things the digital tuner can't.

The 2250 can do ClearQAM only. And for what it's worth, the Ceton and Silicon Dust CableCard tuners are worthless for anything other than WMC it seems. Someday maybe, but DRM is the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mediaportal TVserver Video Quality Questions0