Woohoo! Revo 3700 on it's way :)
I must've been a good boy this year as Santa has just ordered a Revo 3700 2GB, Linux loaded Nettop for me Big Grin

Now, finally, I can start to watch all my backed up movies and home videos on the big screen, and enjoy some HD content, rather than huddled over the PC in the dining room on a 19" monitor!

Not quite sure where to start, can anyone give me a few top tips for when it arrives?

My main purpose of the unit will be to playback movie backups, which are a mixture of avi, mp4, mpeg, vob, and a few mkv (which will probably increase now). I also want to use the unit to bring the internet to the lounge TV, including watching Flash based media like ITV Catchup, BBC Iplayer and YouTube.

With that in mind, I'm thinking XBMC, but do I need a Windows OS partition as well in order to do the Internet thing?

Any problems with the fact that this is the 2gb RAM model? Will I need to upgrade?
You could get away with ubuntu to use flash to watch itv catch-up. There is a plugin for both youtube and iplayer (so you don't need to leave XBMC).

Perhaps revise add-ons to help you:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
I run openelec on mine. XBMC is so much snappier than using Windows + XBMC.
I run XBMC Live installed to the local disk. Boots nice and fast but I leave it in standby anyhow.
I use both I-Player and YouTube via the xbmc plugins, works great.
^ +1

xbmc installed to HDD for that set top box feeling Smile

oh, 'cos i'm crap with linux i bought a "flirc" USB dongle to allow
me to use a MCE remote rather than the keyboard (for 90+% of
the tasks)
Just reinterate, that you will need an operating system that supports a web browser to be able to watch ITV Catchup.
Ruling out openelec and XBMC-live.

+1 for FLIRC. So easily and much more functional.

W7 and XBMC run perfectly fine on my 3700.
Thanks a lot for the reponses. By using Xbox-Live from a standalone HDD, does that then enable you to toggle easily between an OS on the Nettop and XBMC from the HDD? i.e, using XBMC mostly, but flipping to the OS on the Nettop for Web Browsing and ITV catchup?

Interesting that there is a difference between ITV Catchup and BBC Iplayer, I didn't know that. How about the Channel 4, 4oD variant too?
Quote:How about the Channel 4, 4oD variant too?
Google will be able to help you find this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32602

Quote:By using Xbox-Live from a standalone HDD, does that then enable you to toggle easily between an OS on the Nettop and XBMC from the HDD? i.e, using XBMC mostly, but flipping to the OS on the Nettop for Web Browsing and ITV catchup?
Have you read what XBMC-Live is?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live

It's certainly true that XBMC is snappier on Linux than on Windows, especially on low powered machines. However many of us, including me, use XBMC on Windows and are perfectly happy with it. I run Windows 7 on a Revo 3610, which is very similar to the 3700 (if anything a bit slower) and it works just fine.

If you're used to using Windows, and want to use stuff that's only available on Windows like Silverlight and DRMed WMV, then use Windows. It's not a religion: no-one will nail you to a piece of wood for using the wrong operating system.

JR
Just to say ITV Player is available via a plug-in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=9...post932182. Got it running on XBMC Live updated to Dushmaniacs PVR version from Pulse Eight.
jhsrennie Wrote:I run Windows 7 on a Revo 3610, which is very similar to the 3700 (if anything a bit slower) and it works just fine.

If you're used to using Windows, and want to use stuff that's only available on Windows like Silverlight and DRMed WMV, then use Windows. It's not a religion: no-one will nail you to a piece of wood for using the wrong operating system.

JR
+1, me too. In my case, I preferred Windows 7 (or 8 when it come out) over anything else. W7 is probably the easiest OS to setup for Netflix, Directv2pc, external player and most important spec of all for me is bitstreaming HD audio. Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
pseudo7 Wrote:Have you read what XBMC-Live is?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live

Sorry, I did skim read some stuff and my interpretation was that XBMC Live was a 'lite' version of XBMC which could be run from external media without being reliant on the OS on the Revo, therefore I came to the conclusion that you could perhaps have Win7 on the Revo and use it as such, and then plug in XBMC for those times when you require it.

To be honest, there's a lot of reading to do here, the options are bewildering. It seems that popular options are to put XBMC on Ubuntu, Linux or Windows 7 or use XBMC-Live. All of which come with their own idiosyncrasies (although someone has already pointed out that XBMC-Live won't support the Internet usage that I want).

Seeing as the box will arrive with Linux already installed am thinking of exploring that option first.
I have openelec installed it's amazing and boot up speed is around 10secs installed onto a usb3 flash drive for Internet my Asus motherboard has something called express gate it pops up before bios screen it supports skype and web browser it works well for a dedicated htpc and can be accessed in seconds
Does anyone NOT recommend running XBMC on the stock install of Linux that is going to be installed already on the unit? Thinking this will be a good starting point to get up and running.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Woohoo! Revo 3700 on it's way :)0