Stripped down Windows 7
u guys should really look at ShadowDefender...
u can even let your 3yr old mess your PC completely...
a simple reboot and walla!
all your stuff is back to normal...
Ok, I certainly plan to keep security essentials running

I want to use RT7lite to kill off stuff that would otherwise not be used since I don't think I can manage the strip down needed without it. I can cut some stuff but I am not forsaking windows update and I want to keep office on my machine (although that should install fine on another drive so I don't have to waste SSD space).

Thanks for that blackviper stuff. Maybe I will start with that and then add things back in. There are some other guides out there but I just want to make sure I don't kill off too much stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the spotify cache--I suppose I will keep that on the SSD but shrink it down so that it doesn't require the bulk storage drive to be spun up in order to play music.
bluray Wrote:I do, and they all got guest accounts to get on desktop/laptop PC's. For HTPC's, they got a simple HP remote control. They cannot do very much with it. I don't allow them to be on computer very much, and they haven't attract virus either. They're very busy with their school works and sports.

That's the way to go indeed in that regard!
eskro Wrote:u guys should really look at ShadowDefender...
u can even let your 3yr old mess your PC completely...
a simple reboot and walla!
all your stuff is back to normal...
This does sound useful -- once I get the (HT)PC up and running, I'm intending to have two separate installs, one stripped down W7 for XBMC running from a small SSD, and bells&whistles W7 from a HDD for "other stuff". I don't mind doing the occasional reboot! If I ever get around to building the (HT)PC that is....

In the meantime I'll have a play with it on the Microserver. I might even end up remote-booting the (HT)PC from an image on the server.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
I took the basic LastSession.inf listed here:
http://www.rtwincustomize.net/web/index....s-to-keep/

and added back in some components from his list (some of the things he says you can add back aren't actually removed in the lastsession file so the guide may not be quite up to date). I put back a bunch of media stuff as well as homegroup/sharing features and some stuff I might use to access my htpc remotely (all the RDP stuff).

I also slipstreamed in SP1--this brought the installer ISO to 2.1GB. I'll figure out the total installed size and tinker with it some this weekend. If it works well, I'll try to post my rt7lite config file.
Little update:
I went a little overboard it seems and there were a few latent issues. First, windows firewall and AV didn't work--sure you could use another solution but I prefer them.
Second, there was one windows update that I had an error installing. I am not 100% sure it was due to features I removed (I had to reset windows in the middle of the install because windows update crashed) but it most likely was some dependency issue. It wouldn't be such a big deal except windows kept insisting on trying to restart every day to install the update. It would restart itself while idle, and fail to install it every time.

So I made another version of win7. This time I slipstreamed SP1 and only removed the super obvious things that took up a lot of space (as well as disabling features I would never use). Some of the screen-reading and voice recognition stuff takes up a ton of space, so that is gone. Also gone are a bunch of excess default drivers for things that I would be installing updated manufacturer drivers for. Basically anything huge or unnecessary without going deep enough to start removing obscure services that may or may not be necessary.

So it has a little bit more stuff than necessary but it also has a little bit more free space on the SSD.
why not just buy a 64gb SSD and save yourself the hassle and time.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
space is not really an issue, at least for me. its the performance that matters. fewer services loaded means lower boot times.
my windows 7 install went from 17gb to 7gb by following the ssd optimization guide. even now with everyhing on my htpc i have 17gb avaliable on my 32gb ssd.
1QWK510 Wrote:my windows 7 install went from 17gb to 7gb by following the ssd optimization guide. even now with everyhing on my htpc i have 17gb avaliable on my 32gb ssd.

Can you share that guide please ?
1QWK510 Wrote:my windows 7 install went from 17gb to 7gb by following the ssd optimization guide. even now with everyhing on my htpc i have 17gb avaliable on my 32gb ssd.

Can you share that guide please ?
Theres a link at the botttom of eskro sig.
(2011-12-16, 20:26)ottothecow Wrote: I took the basic LastSession.inf listed here:
http://www.rtwincustomize.net/web/index....s-to-keep/

and added back in some components from his list (some of the things he says you can add back aren't actually removed in the lastsession file so the guide may not be quite up to date). I put back a bunch of media stuff as well as homegroup/sharing features and some stuff I might use to access my htpc remotely (all the RDP stuff).

I also slipstreamed in SP1--this brought the installer ISO to 2.1GB. I'll figure out the total installed size and tinker with it some this weekend. If it works well, I'll try to post my rt7lite config file.

Um could you reupload or copy+pase here configuration?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stripped down Windows 70