Recommendation on Hardware for a Window's based Mini-ITX HTPC Build (Group #7)
pglover19 Wrote:Man.. You are making this decision really hard for me.. It is so tempting. Once again I only need a unit to run XBMC in the other rooms. It looks like folks have had success running XBMC on a AppleTV 2. But reading thru the forum, they are having some problems streaming 1080P content. Is the AppleTV 2 a solution based on my needs? If not, I will go ahead and purchase the Gateway pre-built unit. I just didn't want to spend a lot for a device to be used in the other rooms.
For sure, you will have easier time and better playback experience with A6-3600 HTPC than ATV2. You can surf the net with it too! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:For sure, you will have easier time and better playback experience with A6-3600 HTPC than ATV2. You can surf the net with it too! Smile

So, you would definitely recommend the Gateway A6-3600 unit for the other rooms?
pglover19 Wrote:No, I have not seem the unit yet... What is your opinion on the AppleTV 2 as a solution for running XBMC in the other rooms?

You won't be able to play 1080p with the ATV2.

I have a HTPC with a A6-3500 (see my signature). I'm satisfied so far with the CPU/GPU. However, I have a slow HDD and this is causing some lag in the menus (but not that much).

It's worth it to build it really. It's a longer process though.

What's the socket of your Celeron CPU? If it's a LGA775, you might still find ITX motherboard with integrated nvidia GPU for about 80-90$ and reuse your RAM.
pglover19 Wrote:So, you would definitely recommend the Gateway A6-3600 unit for the other rooms?
Yes! It's a much easier route. Smile
See user review of the Gateway A6 here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116416
Random diversion time, am I correct to assume the A6-3500 is just an A6-3600 with the fourth core locked/faulty? It does seem a ridiculous step up in performance (30%) for a small (15%) additional outlay, but of course that'll make no difference with single-core apps.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:Random diversion time, am I correct to assume the A6-3500 is just an A6-3600 with the fourth core locked/faulty? It does seem a ridiculous step up in performance (30%) for a small (15%) additional outlay, but of course that'll make no difference with single-core apps.

That's what I've read.

On my side though, it's higher than 15% additional cost. I've paid 90$ (directcanada.com) for the A6-3500 while I can't find the A6-3600 under 130$ (Amazon.com). So a good 45% cost increase for 33% performance increase.

anyway, except amazon.com, I cannot find the A6-3600 elsewhere....
even here in canada, the A6 X4-3600 is impossible to find,,,
eskro Wrote:even here in canada, the A6 X4-3600 is impossible to find,,,
You might want to hop a cross the border to Bestbuy on the other side of the fence then? Smile
Balinus Wrote:That's what I've read.

On my side though, it's higher than 15% additional cost. I've paid 90$ (directcanada.com) for the A6-3500 while I can't find the A6-3600 under 130$ (Amazon.com). So a good 45% cost increase for 33% performance increase.

anyway, except amazon.com, I cannot find the A6-3600 elsewhere....
Actually my sketchy mental arithmetic isn't quite as good as I first thought Wink

Random price check in the UK finds the 3500 for £65 and the 3600 for £89. So the same as Canada. The A8-3800 is priced at £105...

PS that's including 20% VAT (GB sales tax)....!

Am I right that the K editions have unlocked multipliers? A8-3670K Black edition is £93 on pre-order... no passmarks for it yet
baldmosher™
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:Actually my sketchy mental arithmetic isn't quite as good as I first thought Wink
Mine is no good, I used a calculator for that! Laugh

Quote:Random price check in the UK finds the 3500 for £65 and the 3600 for £89. So the same as Canada. The A8-3800 is priced at £105...

PS that's including 20% VAT (GB sales tax)....!

Am I right that the K editions have unlocked multipliers? A8-3670K Black edition is £93 on pre-order... no passmarks for it yet

I don't know much about the K editions.
Ah, I checked, K is the Intel unlocked chips.

Spraechen Sie Deutsch?
http://news.ati-forum.de/index.php/news/...odelle-ein
baldmosher™
bluray Wrote:Yes! It's a much easier route. Smile

Ok.. I purchased the Gateway computer tonight from Best Buy.. Updating all the drivers right now.. Will configure XBMC tomorrow. However, I realize that I need a HP IR Receiver to control the PC with my Harmony 880 remote.. Will order from Ebay tomorrow.. So, the installation will be delayed until I receive the IR receiver.
pglover19 Wrote:Ok.. I purchased the Gateway computer tonight from Best Buy.. Updating all the drivers right now.. Will configure XBMC tomorrow. However, I realize that I need a HP IR Receiver to control the PC with my Harmony 880 remote.. Will order from Ebay tomorrow.. So, the installation will be delayed until I receive the IR receiver.
Nice! Smile

If you want to playback BD files with external player, I included the codes in this thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
bluray Wrote:Nice! Smile

If you want to playback BD files with external player, I included the codes in this thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.

What advantage would the external player have over the native player used by XBMC?

FYI.. I installed XBMC on the Gateway PC this morning and was successful in streaming 1080P content from the NAS over the wired network. No problems with playback so far. The onboard GPU is better to me than the HIS HD6450 card that I have installed in the HP N40L server.. Happy so far... Now I need to get the HP IR Receiver so I can control the PC with my Harmony 880 Remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendation on Hardware for a Window's based Mini-ITX HTPC Build (Group #7)0