Hi,
im jumping in for a universal remote,
set up is
as rock vision 3d, win7, xbmc with 2x 3tb western digital hd's attached,
vigin media box,
xbox 360,
wii,
all plugged into onkyo amp which runs into pioneer 42"

all hardware is visable but my 19 month old has started climbing and likes pressing buttons so i need a cabinet hense the need for rf

it appears logitech have the market, so from what i can gather i'm going to have to part with £130 (blemished box off logitech website) for the harmony 900 with rf

or is it possibble to get the harmony one and buy an rf adaptor?

and what about this philips prestigo anyone tried?

advanced thanks
Well I have a win7 xbmc asrock 3d too (plus samsung tv & yamaha amp) that I control with a harmony one. I'm guessing my harmony is pretty much the same as the 900 but infra red not rf?

I've got eventghost in between the remote and all my htpc apps and I'm happy with the way the harmony works. My only grumble is it's not as responsive as the $2 remote that comes with the asrock (wtf?) but it's ok, not a show stopper. It does what you expect it to do. Smile
i've done quite a bit of research last week or so, and the lag on the harmony appears to be quite a common issue, but there also seems to be lots of work arounds to get it spot on, i dont have one yet so i cant say but its worth looking into if you havn't already
Yair, I've tried playing with the delays and repeats but it seems to trade slow response against no response at all. Never gets close to the std asrock remote but maybe I'm missing something. Still as I say it's more in the category of slightly irritating rather than being a problem. It lets you set up a wife friendly means of driving all your apps and black boxes without resorting to a keyboard, which was the main thing for me.
If you're gonna put all your equipment in a closed cabinet, then you might like this RF extender: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Re...B000C1Z0HA

It is really cheap, has great reviews and works with any remote that uses AA or AAA batteries. You just replace one of the batteries with their supplied RF emitter / rechargeable battery combo, place the saucer in the cabinet and you're good to go.
That's the ugliest device I've seen in years. It makes a stock AMD heatsink look like Megan Fox.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:That's the ugliest device I've seen in years. It makes a stock AMD heatsink look like Megan Fox.

Oo
baldmosher Wrote:That's the ugliest device I've seen in years. It makes a stock AMD heatsink look like Megan Fox.

Cool Whatever turns you on man

Big Grin All jokes aside, that device is meant to be hidden along with the media devices in a cabinet. You're not really supposed to look at it.
Have you seen the XBMC Remote that the Pulse Eight guys do?

I am looking forward to getting one of these, but they are out of stock till Jan.

If you ask really nice maybe "Mallard?" who runs pulse eight could do something for you earlier.

http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/96...ybrid.aspx
What bit of the Amazon device sits on the cabinet?

Looks like a 1950's UFO
Digital Vortex Wrote:Looks like a 1950's UFO

Rofl
Digital Vortex Wrote:What bit of the Amazon device sits on the cabinet?

Looks like a 1950's UFO

None of the pieces are meant to be seen really.

It has two units:

1) The rf emitter that replaces the battery in your remote
2) The ufo (rf receiver/ir emitter) sits inside the cabinet

the rf signal travels from inside your remote to the ufo inside the cabinet. Then the ufo blasts the ir signal either through its ufo windows, or the attached external emitters
Thanks guys,
I got the harmony 900 in the end, and decided to ship back to amazon yesterday and hope they accept and refund
i was/am greatly dishappointed, i suppose if i'd paid £30-£40 i'd still have it now and trying to make it work, but for £180 i want a remote that is fantastic which this isnt imo
its massive, i kept having to use both hands or put it down to reach certain buttons! thats not what im looking for i need to be able to press everything using one hand
the lag was another issue, im back to my cheap shipped silver remote and it just feels so much better, ok so i also have the onkyo remote next to me as well but i can handle that for now
the UFO rf adaptor is definately an option i may consider, as is the pulse eight, but for now im just hoping for my money back, shame as i had high hopes for the 900 it just wasnt for me
This is BY FAR the best bang for your buck RF remote solution on the market today. I've been using it for years, and it has stood the test of time, and frequent drops. I'm with you about putting all the components in a cabinet. None of that stuff is meant to be seen in a home theater. You don't see any if it at the real movie theater. It's got a nice back light, easy to program macros, and all the buttons are in logical places. Definitely don't need two hands to watch media!! Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/RFS200-PowerPak-Bu...228&sr=1-1
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinions on universal remotes with rf pls0