• 5(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
Followed the steps exactly on the 1st page (except used a different username than xbmc).

Rebooted to what appears to be the unity WM, and XBMC didn't start on boot.

Looks like i'm using lightdm though?

Code:
parker@workshed:~$ ps aux | grep lightdm
root      1014  0.0  0.0 181304  4008 ?        Ssl  17:52   0:00 lightdm
root      1043  0.8  0.8 168724 66836 tty7     Ss+  17:52   0:05 /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch -background none
parker    2762  0.0  0.0  13452   904 pts/0    S+   18:01   0:00 grep --color=auto lightdm
parker@workshed:~$

My /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=parker
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=XBMC
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

My /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMC
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center
Exec=xbmc-standalone
TryExec=xbmc-standalone
Type=Application

I'm wondering if there is something else I need to do for lightdm and to get XBMC to start. I'm fairly well versed in cmd line rhel linux, but all of the ubuntu X-win stuff is very new to me.

Thanks!
Okay. So the problem is not xvba dependend, but xrandr specific, cause it also happens during normal desktop usage (mode setting).

Can you pastebin the following commands:
xorg.conf
dpkg -l |grep fglrx
xrandr -q
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
pjohn07 Wrote:I'm wondering if there is something else I need to do for lightdm and to get XBMC to start. I'm fairly well versed in cmd line rhel linux, but all of the ubuntu X-win stuff is very new to me.
Thanks!

Got in this problem, too. I think lightdm stores some config files which do not get overwritten. As a workaround:

Choose logout
After this choose your user and the XBMC session from the dropdown menu in lightdm. This overwrites the default.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
fritsch Wrote:Okay. So the problem is not xvba dependend, but xrandr specific, cause it also happens during normal desktop usage (mode setting).

Can you pastebin the following commands:
xorg.conf
dpkg -l |grep fglrx
xrandr -q

For the xrandr output please see http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=963...stcount=48. The others I can do tonight.

But just to be sure: xrandr does work fine on the desktop, it's only xbmc's (opengl?) window that becomes garbled, just as if it doesn't notice the change. The distortion also kinda looks like a too short/long scanline. The "kick in the butt" by opening an xterm client then rectifies this.
grad Wrote:For the xrandr output please see http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=963...stcount=48. The others I can do tonight.

But just to be sure: xrandr does work fine on the desktop, it's only xbmc's (opengl?) window that becomes garbled, just as if it doesn't notice the change. The distortion also kinda looks like a too short/long scanline. The "kick in the butt" by opening an xterm client then rectifies this.

Do you have this behavior everytime a mode is switched? I.e also when you play a video?
I have a similar issue with automatic refresh rate changing, but it happens _only_ when a video is played till the end and xbmc drops back to the menu. It does not happen if I stop the video manually. Sadly I haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet, but it is not XVBA specific! Also occurs with software decoding.
A workaround that reliably helps is toggling xbmc to window mode and back to fullscreen. I have mapped a button on my remote to do this.
grad Wrote:For the xrandr output please see http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=963...stcount=48. The others I can do tonight.

Okay, the modlines are looking fine. 24p mode is there, etc. What I actually ment was:

Close xbmc.
Switch mode to e.g. 1920x1080@24
start xbmc
play a movie

Does this work?

What is also interesting for me. Do you get this problem, if you deselect xvba output? Does this also happen in the menus?
fritsch Wrote:Close xbmc.
Switch mode to e.g. 1920x1080@24
start xbmc
play a movie

Does this work?

Yes, as long as no mode switching is involved, everything works fine.

fritsch Wrote:Do you get this problem, if you deselect xvba output? Does this also happen in the menus?

Yes to both questions. I have turned off all xvba related options and it doesn't work either. Only when I turn off mode switching itself it works, but obviously not with the correct mode.

I've been wondering if there isn't a special amdcccle setting (or /etc/ati/...) for this, hence I played a little bit with the scaling options. I don't know much about fglrx yet, so far I was pretty happy with the OSS drivers and Xv output. But XvBA and the slickness of xbmc has gotten me hooked already, so please please help me find out what's wrong! Big Grin
Could you pastebin your xorg.conf and, if this is possible the output of Xorg.0.log and xbmc.log with debugging turned on and the output of dmesg if the mode is changed?

You are using fglrx 11.12?

Make sure to only run display managers without compiz (think this is the case with xfce by default).
--Quote- pjohn07 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Followed the steps exactly on the 1st page (except used a different username than xbmc).

Rebooted to what appears to be the unity WM, and XBMC didn't start on boot.

Looks like i'm using lightdm though?
--Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, in Debian Wheezy there is a bug. for ubuntu i dont know, but this fixed it for me.

source: http://siripong-computer-tips.blogspot.c...heezy.html

enable lightdm autologin debian wheezy

alter /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to be

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=xbmc
autologin-user-timeout=0
pam-service=lightdm-autologin

create /etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin (if not exist)
#%PAM-1.0
auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_env.so readenv=1
auth required pam_env.so readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale
auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
auth required pam_permit.so
@include common-account
session required pam_limits.so
@include common-session
@include common-password
fritsch Wrote:Could you pastebin your xorg.conf and, if this is possible the output of Xorg.0.log and xbmc.log with debugging turned on and the output of dmesg if the mode is changed?

xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/H2VwYfnh
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/LaWqLN0e
/etc/ati/amdpcsdb: http://pastebin.com/jXph8cTG

There where no messages in dmesg upon mode change.

Funny though, it acutally did switch to 24p alright in that run, but then the error showed up when it switched back to 60p for the menus.

fritsch Wrote:You are using fglrx 11.12?

Yes.

fritsch Wrote:Make sure to only run display managers without compiz (think this is the case with xfce by default).

Yes, I have turned off compositing in xfwm4.
pjohn07 Wrote:I'm wondering if there is something else I need to do for lightdm and to get XBMC to start. I'm fairly well versed in cmd line rhel linux, but all of the ubuntu X-win stuff is very new to me.

I fought a lot with lightdm yesterday when transitioning from 11.04 to 11.10 and found that doing this:

Quote:# echo "/usr/sbin/lightdm" > /etc/X11/default-display-manager
# dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

as root seemed to help for start issues. Your problem maybe totally different, but it's worth a try.
First of all I would like to thank you for writing up this guide, it's awesome to finally have an AMD build where I can play 24fps vids correctly.

I was just wondering if you could tell me the configure string you use when building the source? As I would like to build this with libcec enabled.

Either that or if you would like to build it with libcec enabled on the PPA?? That would be tops.
clank Wrote:First of all I would like to thank you for writing up this guide, it's awesome to finally have an AMD build where I can play 24fps vids correctly.

I was just wondering if you could tell me the configure string you use when building the source? As I would like to build this with libcec enabled.

Either that or if you would like to build it with libcec enabled on the PPA?? That would be tops.

I think if you nicely ask wsnipex, he will include this :-)
grad Wrote:xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/H2VwYfnh
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/LaWqLN0e
/etc/ati/amdpcsdb: http://pastebin.com/jXph8cTG

There are really a lot of settings in xorg.conf. Could you backup this file an retest with:
sudo aticonfig --initial

For your log I see that you see builds with the Reference Clock Stuff. There are still some bugs, we, Fernetmenta especially, try to track down.

If you use wsnipex ppa packages (not the testing ppa). These are normally more stable, cause they are tested more extensive.

Thanks
clank Wrote:First of all I would like to thank you for writing up this guide, it's awesome to finally have an AMD build where I can play 24fps vids correctly.

When I first started to build the packages, it wouldn't compile with libcec on launchpad, so I disabled it. I might look into it again, when I find time.

Here is the configure line:
--prefix=/usr --docdir=/usr/share/doc/xbmc \
--enable-xvba \
--disable-vdpau \
--disable-crystalhd \
--disable-vdadecoder \
--disable-vtbdecoder \
--disable-tegra \
--disable-profiling \
--enable-joystick \
--enable-xrandr \
--disable-ccache \