Help w/ build? (Power Supply question)
The PSU in my HP laptop is rated 130W, but the brick I use whilst travelling is 90W. The peak consumption isn't anywhere near 100W at full load. It will even run and charge (very slowly) from a 65W brick. The PSU is clever enough to know what power brick it has at its disposal, and it'll ramp down various components so that it still functions. I wouldn't use a 65W long term but the 90W should be fine - it'll just get very hot. If your PSU is rated higher than your brick and at full load quite a lot then you might have a bit of trouble.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
Everywhere seems to be out of stock, will the following power supply work?

http://shop.perfecthometheater.com/150W-...egoryId=-1
Double-check your connector requirements, but in terms of power availability I think it's a great choice.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
This is what I could pull from the specs online of each:

Motherboard: 24-Pin ATX Power connector

Power Supply: 24-pin ATX power connector, 4-pin CPU power connector, SATA, PATA and floppy.

Looks good, right? The CPU, SATA, PATA and floppy are for the most part superfluous I'm guessing?
Does look good. Go for it - and let us know your results!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Lightbulb 
brendch06 Wrote:Hey I'm building a new HTPC, with specs below but I need help with the power supply. I've included a couple links with different ones, but can someone confirm that one of the below work?

Motherboard: ZOTAC FUSION350-A-E AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core)
Ram: Kingston 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1066 204-PIN
Case: Mini-Box M350
Power Supply (This is where I need help):
picoPSU-120
picoPSU-90
picoPSU-80

I guess basically I'm just not sure the wattage and stuff. What's better to buy? Price isn't a huge issue here but just want to make sure to get the right thing.

Thanks guys

I'm glad you posted this, though I decided to go pre-built instead. You gave me some ideas, and who knows, maybe I'll change my mind later...

If I were to go this route, I'd go with:
- Mobo: ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe $175 + shipping
- RAM: TBD--2GB or 4GB for ~$10-$25 on newegg
- Case + PSU: M350 enclosure with picoPSU-80 and 60W adapter $69 + shipping
- 4-Pin P4 Short Power Cable or 4-Pin P4 Mini Power Cable for PicoPSU-80 $1.25
- SSD: OCZ Onyx Series OCZSSD2-1ONX32G 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $60 - $10 - $10 = $40, after this promo code, and the $10 MIR.

The idea being silence (no moving parts) and smallish. I would pick the Asus over the Zotac board because it's fanless, and also because of the complaints I saw on the Newegg feedback about the Zotac board's HDMI and WOL. I'm not sure if the heat dissipation with the Asus would have been sufficient without any fans, though.

However...I chose to pull the trigger on the ZBOX-AD02-U instead because I got a good deal, it's smaller, and I already have SO-DIMMs I can use in it. (The Asus board takes 240pin DDR3.)
Thumbs Up 
Thanks sparky0! I actually just put this build together and I'm EXTREMELY happy- my build is running Avatar and equivalent at full frames, the only slowdowns I experience is when I navigate through a movie (forward/back) but then resumes full frames in half a second.

However, your post prompted me to check out the temperature and it IS running a little hot, which is a concern. I'm putting a fan in tonight and I'll let you know if the temperature situation improves. But currently it's running at about 50 degrees celsius just running xbmc and nothing else. Speedfan is telling me this a bit hot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help w/ build? (Power Supply question)0