Screen sharing in OSX Lion
Hi,

I am a first-time Mac user (just bought a July'11 model Mac Mini, 8GB RAM, Inter Core i3, Intel HD 3000).

I use my Mac Mini as a home server. On startup, it auto-logins to a user called "mediacenter" that runs XBMC upon login. So powering on takes you straight into XBMC. I use an Android app to control it with my phone as a remote. It's perfect! (Can't speak highly enough of all those coders making this possible).

Now, I also want to run a couple of virtual machines with Linux. Therefore I installed VirtualBox and created another account called "vmserver" which I use for this. This is also working well.

My problem is this though: I enabled screen sharing in order to be able to log in and do stuff with the "vmserver" user while I watch-video/listen-music on XBMC. So, while "mediacentre" is logged into the console, I open a new session with a VNC client and log in as "vmserver". This doesn't seem to work well. Usually the XBMC screen will "freeze" while audio is still playing. Sometimes it may freeze as if I pressed "pause" until I log out from the VNC session.

Is there a way to make XBMC and screen sharing play nice? I don't want to view the XBMC video remotely. I just want XBMC to be able to play on the physical monitor while I use another account to work with the GUI on the remote display. Sometimes it works perfectly fine (like right now when I am typing this). Part of my problem is that I don't understand what makes the mediacentre/XBMC/physical-screen session "freeze" wen I start my my vmserver/VirtualBox/remote-VNC-display session.

Any hints?

Thanks a lot!
Known issue with osx lion. It will not be addressed in Eden, it's just too late for that.
I suppose you are referring to this one: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11801

At least I know it's not something that can be fixed by some setting. I'll just have to stick to SSH terminal for now.

Thx!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen sharing in OSX Lion0