Nightly to stable version ? (+Airplay)
Question 
Hello, (i don't speak english very well, so excuse me for that, and sometimes technical english is difficult to understand, so excuse me if this question already exists)

First, thank you very much for this forum.

I have an atv2 with ios 4.2, i have jailbreak it few month ago and installed xbmc (cydia version i guess, NOT the nito one).

At start, i can't read mkv, so i update tu a newer version. After that, there was the awful "not indexing - unable to connect" problem (but i can read MKV).

So i install a nightly build, and the problem was always here.

Then, i just upgrade - i guess - the nightly (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) and indexing movie + read MKV now works fine, finally \o/.

Now, i see that airplay works on XBMC (great !!) since the september release.

My questions are :

1. How i can know if i'm on a nighly version or not ? (version XBMC PRE-11.0 Git 20110818-091397a compiled August 19 2011)
  2. How i can move from nightly to stable versions ? (cause i don't really need the nightly and stable version is now OK)
  3. How i can update my version, the "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" never bring me to the last version and always say my package is up to date, and my version stays at "XBMC PRE-11.0 Git 20110818-091397a compiled August 19 2011"
  4. Does airplay works in ethernet with XBMC (that works sometimes on "regular" ATV)?

Thank you very much !
NitoTV install = Cydia install

None of the builds are stable yet. Even the Cydia one is a pre-release build. A stable build will come near the end of the month (maybe).

"apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" won't do anything in your case until the Cydia build is updated. Nightlies look like Cydia builds to the system, so that's why it doesn't update.

To get the latest nightly build follow these instructions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...htly_build

Most of the regular Airplay features are in the XBMC-Airplay. Movies and music should work.
Hello, thank you for your quick reply and clarification.
I don't want to update to the last nightly, but update to the last "not nightly/regular/whatever" build. (that i call "stable" by error)

So i hav a nightly or not installed ? How can i install a "regular" one ?

Does airplay works with atv plugged on ethernet ?

Thank you, i will maybe try the last nightly. Can i pass from the last nightly to the future stable version easily when it's released ? Or is it wiser to wait and upgrade to stable version later ?
You would be best to stick with the nightlies for now. They work well and going back to a stable version would be a downgrade at this point. Once a new stable version is out you will be able to update using the apt-get method you mentioned. The stable releases were simply nightlies that had major bugs fixed and did not crash very often. Since we are in a feature-freeze for Eden, each new nightly will be more and more stable. I'm currently using a nightly from Nov. 25th on both my ATV2's and play all manner of mkv's with no noticeable bugs at all.

If it is working fine, wait for the stable release. If not, update to the latest nightly, then wait for stable.

Also, AirPlay does work over Ethernet.
thank you so much for the reply !

All is stable, so maybe i'll wait for the stable version, but the geeky side of me whisper "gooo, instaaall the nightlyyyy, the airplay feature is greaaaaat" Smile

(because since i'm booting directly to XBMC, the native airplay feature has gone)

Maybe it's more reasonnable to wait after christmas and the whole family who wants to look at films and listen music, cause if something goes wrong, i'm doomed Smile

Thank-you for the airplay/ethernet reply, ine the native airplay mode, apple says it's just in wifi, but sometimes it's working in ethernet.

Just for the record, is it possible to "downgrade" or return on the "stable" branch from a nightly build ?

Thx !
Beta 1 is coming out soon (any day? not sure, but soon). Eden final (code name for XBMC v11) soon after that. So hopefully you won't have to wait long for a truly stable build.
Is there any unofficial information concerning the release plan? The roadmap (http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap) says Eden is due in 10 days...
stevenD Wrote:Is there any unofficial information concerning the release plan? The roadmap (http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap) says Eden is due in 10 days...

Unofficially.. longer. Things got a little complicated with the fire and the FBI investigation and all that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nightly to stable version ? (+Airplay)0