• 5(current)
HTPC RF Keyboards
no but i expect it to work,,,
its RF, should be cross platform,,,
(2012-02-25, 07:13)eskro Wrote: remote side way too basic to control XBMC

I thought this thread was about keyboards, not remotes?

I've had the boxee remote for over a year. It is awesome for basic keyboard use and basic remote use with a HUGE range and no line of sight. I'm thinking about when you want to be able to control your music quickly from all over the house and outside with no line of sight. I'd say maybe get some universal IR remote for couch use, but get this for whole house music control and if the keyboard function is good enough for you, then you have that too.
(2012-02-27, 23:26)eskro Wrote: Unisen's iPazzPort Mini RF 2.4GH Keyboard (KP-810-10-A) ($25 & FREE Shipping)

Can RF be used from another room? My HTPC is in the room next to my living room (but plugged into my living room tv). I'm almost 100% sure that it can, and that it's a stupid question. But wanted to ask just in case I was wrong.

also its worth noting that some uk users have reported some serious problems with range http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-4GHz-Wireless-...ewpoints=1
well technically, yes, RF can be used from another room.

however, im not too far from my htpc so,

i cant really confirm you if the ipazz mini works good the way u want!
(2012-04-21, 14:07)eskro Wrote: well technically, yes, RF can be used from another room.

however, im not too far from my htpc so,

i cant really confirm you if the ipazz mini works good the way u want!

i was going t go for the ipazz but the reviews that said it had range problems have put me off.

This one seems to get great reviews http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-2-4GHz-...roduct_top and seems like it would suit my xbmc purposes:

1) to be able to type stuff in now and again like youtube and spotify etc

and I want to do some other things on my HTPC sometimes like:
1) tagging music ive downloaded
2) browsing the web for live sports stream on websites that dont have an xbmc addon

thanks for starting this thread, saved me a lot of time.

ps. at the moment ive been using the mouse facility on the harmony (not ideal), and mouse and keyboard apps on my android like unified remote (pretty damn good mouse but the keyboard text entry doesn't work that well with xbmc.)
Rapoo E9080

I just got this one through the post this morning, which is by far the best wireless keyboard I've used.

Has the quality feel of the Apple wireless and an excellent trackpad at it's side.

Check out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_HaLbmxkw for a demo vid. You can pick them up on ebay for about 40 US dollars.
would have been great if it had backlit keys filthycatbox...
thats priority 4 me.
i cant seea darn thing in the dark....

same thing here thebearnecessit, no backlit on your Koolertron..
Yeah, but the trouble is I've yet to find any company that produces a wireless keyboard with trackpad that is backlit. The Logitech K800 looked decent enough, but it's pretty expensive and lacks the trackpad.
(2012-04-22, 07:57)filthycatbox Wrote: Yeah, but the trouble is I've yet to find any company that produces a wireless keyboard with trackpad that is backlit. The Logitech K800 looked decent enough, but it's pretty expensive and lacks the trackpad.

Ehm.. www.logitech.com/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848
In terms of value for money and ease of use I have just found a solution that cannot be beaten.

I have a laptop (actually a netbook) that I have installed a program called synergy on.

Now I can use my laptops keyboard and touchpad as if it were connected directly to my HTPC. Superb software.

along with my harmony all-in-one remote, and my wiimote for gaming, that's me sorted now, only took 5 months of faffing about Big Grin
(2012-04-22, 16:25)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2012-04-22, 07:57)filthycatbox Wrote: Yeah, but the trouble is I've yet to find any company that produces a wireless keyboard with trackpad that is backlit. The Logitech K800 looked decent enough, but it's pretty expensive and lacks the trackpad.

Ehm.. www.logitech.com/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848

Ehm...good luck with using that as a trackpad Wink Works more like a joypad control, didn't like at all.
Personally, I want my HTPC-experience to remind me as little as possible of a regular PC, which means removing PC-peripherals.

Why not just use a remote for movies/series and keep a small keyboard w/mouse on a shelf under the table for instance?
Hi beautiful people Smile

I've just finished a HTPC and although everything is working quite well the issue of what input device to use is driving me around the bend!

I've tried a number of devices, with varying degrees of frustration... Luckily didn't have to purchase (and return) all of them, the two Logitech ones were loans from friends...

The first one I used (which is the one I purchased for this purpose) is the Xebec Tech HTPC Mini Wireless Keyboard after reading this very review... In real life, sitting less than 3m away from the computer, with the receiver plugged in the front USB port the keyboard misses key presses and the touchpad ranges from jerky to non-functional.

Besides, the keyboard is barely useable... Even typing URLs is an exercise of repetition and patience.

After my disappointing experience with the cheap and cheerful I moved to the opposite side of the spectrum (both in terms of size and price) and borrowed a friend's Logitech DiNovo Edge. Of course being a good quality full size keyboard typing was a bliss with this one, and connectivity flawless... but the "touch disc" just doesn't cut it... too small, not very responsive, and the scroll "edges" require to actually look at it to make sure that the fingers are in the right place... another no-no.

Then I borrowed another friend's Logitech DiNovo Mini. Nicely built, and I found the keyboard surprisingly functional despite it's size. Connectivity was good too, with no noticeable interruptions, but again the "touch disc" was a let down... I just couldn't get used to it. Too small, not enough sensitivity.

Finally today I popped in a local shop to get some desoldering braid I urgently needed and spotted this keyboard/trackpad combo, and decided to give it a go...

Tomorrow I'll be going back to return it... Half the time when the keyboard goes to sleep just won't reconnect upon "waking up", I have to power cycle the dongle (fancy speak for "get off the sofa, unplug the thing and plug it again"), the multitouch gestures don't work on Win7 x64 with the supplied driver and there's a snowball's chance in hell to get an updated one (as you can guess the manufacturer of the touchpad is not Synaptics Big Grin Big Grin ), you have to really "tap with intent" for the tapping to register and the sensitivity is less than stellar... to put the icing on the cake the keys are stiff as you can't imagine, which paired with cheap flimsy construction equals flexing the whole thing every time you type.

Oh, and if the trackpad area rests on your thigh it loses connectivity, it needs to "hang" to one side...

So... after this "TL;DR" moment the question is: Are the IOGEAR (GKM571R, GKM561R, GKM681R) devices any good?

Specifically I'm wondering about the build quality and usability of the keyboard, reliability of the connection (from +-3m away) and functionality of the trackball...

If you made it this far, thanks for reading... If you have some input on the matter that would be great Smile Smile
well, i dont own the IOGEAR GKM561R but,
everyone seems to like it and say it works pretty good.
its been reviewed on REVISION3 too.

and Jetster bought /use the IOGEAR GKM571R
and says it works very good and range is perfect.
check his review here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125406

and for me,
i just love my iPazzPort KP-810-10A (~$25)
(2012-04-29, 22:33)eskro Wrote: well, i dont own the IOGEAR GKM561R but,
everyone seems to like it and say it works pretty good.
its been reviewed on REVISION3 too.

and Jetster bought /use the IOGEAR GKM571R
and says it works very good and range is perfect.
check his review here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125406

and for me,
i just love my iPazzPort KP-810-10A (~$25)

Thanks for the reply Smile

Was worried that there were too many words and not enough information in my post, triggering a TL;DR response Wink

The one you love... as Yoda would say "difficult to get in the UK is"... Can only order it from HK and hope it will arrive.

In fact there are a handful of interesting contraptions in this thread that are just not available this side of the pond (the Rapoo E9080 and the "Lazy Men" Air Fly caught my eye)...

I think I'll take the risk with IOGEAR... Now just need to make up my mind between those two Wink
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC RF Keyboards2