High CPU usage when minimized?
I have been trying to use my PC as a server/htpc. One of my goals because of this is very low power when I am not using it for anything local. However, something that is preventing this is having to keep XBMC open for library updates.

I have two scenarios.
The first is if I keep XBMC maximized it will keep my graphics card from going into 2d mode.
The second is if I minimize XBMC its CPU usage hits 25% of a q6600 preventing it from dropping voltage/multi.

Any way to fix the second problem? or a better way to keep XBMC open but not using resources?
I have tried using UnloadSkin from EventGhost, but it is still too much for the graphics card.

Thanks for any replies/suggestions/alternatives.
1. Set XBMC to update on startup.

2. Set XBMC power settings to "Quit" after 15 minutes of idle (or whatever works for you).

3. Set up a task in the task scheduler to start XBMC every couple of hours (or, again, whatever works for your needs).

If you are actively using XBMC at the time that the task scheduler fires up, it shouldn't cause you any issues as XBMC is already open. If it does cause any sort of problem, you can just use the "only start if idle" option in the task scheduler. Not a 100% perfect solution for energy efficiency, but I think it's one of a very limited number of options and it would at least reduce energy usage significantly.
Good ideas and something I will definitely look into. I guess I failed to mention, once XBMC is maximized the CPU usage drops back down to near nothing.
Have you tried setting the screensaver to "Black"?
Does not seem to help, as soon as I minimize it the CPU usage hits 30-40% no matter what state xbmc is in before I minimize it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU usage when minimized?0