new router - how to change settings in xbmc live?
Merry Christmas all... Smile

ok, i've just bought a new modem router (a belkin with gigabit LAN).

installation went well with all of my pc's / phones / consoles connecting
to the LAN and WAN without any issues.

but.. last night me and the missus sat down to watch an episode of dexter
stored on my NAS. i clicked on the episode to watch and everything froze.
i sat staring at the screen wondering what had gone wrong then it came to
me that the IP address of the NAS had changed (was 192.168.0.13) and now
it was (192.168.2.3). obviously, xbmc was still looking for the previous IP.

to get around this, i changed the routers IP address to 192.168.0.1 and set
a fixed IP on the NAS to 192.168.0.13 - this has fixed the issue that i had
experienced, but was a PITA because i then had to switch all of my other
devices off and on so that they would accept the new IP range.

is there an option within xbmc live which would allow me to point the tv and
movie library to a new IP address and also keep all of my artwork / fanart
without the hassle of going all through the set up rigmarole?

fyi, my set up is as follows:-

acer revo r3700 - hdd wiped completely and xbmc live installed directly to hdd
connected to my LAN (and NAS) via gigabit ethernet.

thanks in advance Smile

Ste
You're either going to have to edit the library database by hand and change all the references to your new IP scheme or redo the library. There's no easy way to it.
thanks for the reply pumkinut.

i didn't think it would be easy tbh.

it's a pity that xbmc doesn't allow for easy networking configuration
or editing.

because everything is currently working correctly, i'll leave it as
it is.

thanks again Smile

Ste
Although this wouldn't help your situation now, it would probably make things a lot easier in future or for anyone else reading this if you did the library this way:

Create a mount point in fstab pointing to your nas then have that automatically mount when network is up via network interfaces scripts. If your ip addresses ever change, all you need to do is change the mount point's ip address.

That's how mine is setup and works great Smile
sneekes Wrote:thanks for the reply pumkinut.

i didn't think it would be easy tbh.

it's a pity that xbmc doesn't allow for easy networking configuration
or editing.

because everything is currently working correctly, i'll leave it as
it is.

thanks again Smile

Ste

You're confusing things a bit. Network changes are handled pretty easily by XBMC. The library is a database, DB changes on the fly to reflect a change in every DB entry in your library is not a trivial feat. It'll be much easier to delete and rebuild the library. If things are set up well on your end, itshould simply be a case of remapping the source, setting the content, and updating the library
pumkinut Wrote:You're either going to have to edit the library database by hand and change all the references to your new IP scheme or redo the library. There's no easy way to it.

I was referring to this actual comment by you.

I've never messed on with the library in this way and you make it sound difficult to reconfigure/rebuild, hence you're "There's no easy way to it."

The way I do it is very simple, edit one file then create another and it would avoid what happened to the original poster in the first place ?

I'm no expert in XBMC by a long shot, but just thought I'd give my 2 cents as I think it would avoid the original problem ?
It would avoid the original problem, but not the OP's current problem. Also, creating mount points in fstab for your shares is not simple for someone who doesn't know Linux at first.

Having your shares as mount points would make some things easier in the long run, that's not in dispute. The OP's claim that (s)he wishes there were an easy way to fix the current issue is what I was commenting on. The easiest way would be to simply rebuild the library, perhaps adding the share in fstab along the way to avoid it in the future.
I did state that it wouldn't help his current situation, maybe something for him to read into in the future, I'd be glad to help if needed. But I do see your point Smile
I agree with norms - but it would be just as easy to use the 'hostname' of your NAS for the content rather than an IP address, i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
apologies for any confusion caused on my behalf Smile

the crux of the matter was that when i changed router, i couldn't find an
easy way of pointing xbmc live to the new IP address of the NAS drive, there
was nothing obvious in the system or network settings.

the method (which worked for me) was to change the routers IP address
and IP address range it allocated to be the same as my previous router.

how would i change the library to point to a "hostname"? i currently have
mine pointing at smb://192.168.0.13/Shares/Movies etc

thanks for any advice given.

Ste
I guess the easiest way is to edit your hosts file - /etc/hosts - and add the hostname/IP address there. You can then refer to the hostname everywhere on the system and, should it ever change, you can simply alter the hosts entry.

You need to ensure that you've always got the same IP address for the NAS, though - set it to a static IP address.

Personally, I would (and have!) used the fstab/mount route, but it's tantamount to the same thing (I seem to recall that NFS is marginally quicker than SMB, but I might have dreamed that up so don't quote me!).
Prof Yaffle Wrote:I guess the easiest way is to edit your hosts file - /etc/hosts - and add the hostname/IP address there. You can then refer to the hostname everywhere on the system and, should it ever change, you can simply alter the hosts entry.

You need to ensure that you've always got the same IP address for the NAS, though - set it to a static IP address.

Personally, I would (and have!) used the fstab/mount route, but it's tantamount to the same thing (I seem to recall that NFS is marginally quicker than SMB, but I might have dreamed that up so don't quote me!).

The main reason I went the fstab route in the first place was that for some reason, using the SMB method was very slow to update the library for me. I never bothered to figure out why it was so slow but it could have been anything on my network causing the delays or even my wireless. Once I set up the fstab method, the library updates were extremely quick, even over the wireless. I've now cabled all my set up but found no reason to switch back to the SMB method as like you, I also read that is inherently slower anyway (by how much I don't know).

Quote:how would i change the library to point to a "hostname"? i currently have

As far as I am aware, to use the host name instead of the ip address, simply replace the ip address with the host name. ie:

smb://192.168.0.13/Shares/Movies -> smb://mynas/Shares/Movies

replacing mynas with the host name of your nas server.
Quote:the method (which worked for me) was to change the routers IP address
and IP address range it allocated to be the same as my previous router.

how would i change the library to point to a "hostname"? i currently have

As explained you cannot do that without manually fixing it in the db.
The best solution as you have discovered is not to change the ip. In a proffessional network you would try not to use a fixed IP in any config.

If you do want change the path export the library, delete the database and re-scrape.
To keep watch status add this advance setting
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>

I really do not think there is much more to this topic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new router - how to change settings in xbmc live?0