Close XBMC / Launch .exe / Restart XBMC?
I'd like to add 3 menu shortcuts to external programs, but instead of just opening them and keeping XBMC running, I'd like to have XBMC close in order to save resources. Then, when that program is closed, have XBMC restart? I have the Launcher add-in running the external apps from the menu now, but XBMC stays open.

If it can't be closed, can I automatically minimize XBMC?

Is it possible to do this without jumping through all kinds of hoops?

The programs, specifically, I want to launch are Hulu Desktop, WMC, and Firefox to a specific web page.

I've messed with EventGhost in the past, and tried scripting batch files and vbs files but nothing quite works 100% of the time.
You should definitely be able to do this with eventghost. Capture the events and set actions to launch on capture. The eventghost forum should be able to assist. Although I haven't done something similar to what you're doing, I can do a quick test in a sample Eventghost file and send it to you. (example. On "Notepad.exe" launch, close xbmc; on "Notepad.exe" close, launch xbmc).
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
You can do this with the advanced launcher addon.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
DJVege Wrote:You should definitely be able to do this with eventghost. Capture the events and set actions to launch on capture. The eventghost forum should be able to assist. Although I haven't done something similar to what you're doing, I can do a quick test in a sample Eventghost file and send it to you. (example. On "Notepad.exe" launch, close xbmc; on "Notepad.exe" close, launch xbmc).

htpc guy Wrote:You can do this with the advanced launcher addon.

Here are some examples of .bat scripts that clode and restart XBMC used by advanced launcher : http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6
ZebZ Wrote:I'd like to add 3 menu shortcuts to external programs, but instead of just opening them and keeping XBMC running, I'd like to have XBMC close in order to save resources. Then, when that program is closed, have XBMC restart? I have the Launcher add-in running the external apps from the menu now, but XBMC stays open.

If it can't be closed, can I automatically minimize XBMC?

Is it possible to do this without jumping through all kinds of hoops?

The programs, specifically, I want to launch are Hulu Desktop, WMC, and Firefox to a specific web page.

I've messed with EventGhost in the past, and tried scripting batch files and vbs files but nothing quite works 100% of the time.
Using Advanced Launcher :
Ah cool. That's definitely the easiest/quickest way for Zebz needs. I've never used the launcher before as I needed USB-UIRT and RF remote interaction, so went straight to girder/eventghost.

Always learning. Smile
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
This works great - and is similar to other methods I've tried using Launcher and some AutoHoteKey scripts - but I'm looking for something that doesn't show all the screen flashes/desktop etc during the time the first program is killed/closed and the next one started. IE: some sort of "black screen" transition so this is aesthetically pleasing (and my wife isn't reminded that this is a PC ;-)

I had started looking into this a long time ago and recall something that added/showed black screens during the transitions - using python scripts from XBMC - but had errors restarting XBMC?

Any other ways to do this? Maybe using a combo of EventGhost and the AdvancedLauncher? I'm not fussy as to how it happens...best would be to have the CURRENT application run UNTIL the new one starts, then KILL the initial application AFTER the new one starts?

IE:

XBMC running
Choose Menu Item in XBMC to start Windows Media Center (or Hulu Desktop) - the "new program"
XBMC remains running while new program starts
After new program starts - XBMC closes (or is "killed") in the background.

Same approach when you EXIT the "new program"

Alternative: have a black screen display BETWEEN programs
For the black screen display, simple thing is to use a black wallpaper, no icon on desktop and hidden taskbar.

Now the problem is what you mean exactly by "After new program starts".... When the new program process exists? When the program windows exists? Or when the new program is full screen? Because the main problem is not the kill, start, close application or use transition screen, it is to know how many time it will take to your started application to take fullscreen focus since you have started it. How do you detect an application is fullscreen or not?
(2012-04-10, 22:36)Angelscry Wrote: For the black screen display, simple thing is to use a black wallpaper, no icon on desktop and hidden taskbar.

My wife likes her collection of wallpapers when she uses the HTPC as a PC - already thought of doing that approach. Looking for something more elegant. Since you're listed as a skiled python coder - can you take a look at this posting I made a ways back - maybe you can provide some info on what isn't working?

My old posting: Other way to do this?

Any assistance is appreciated!
(2012-04-10, 22:44)puulima Wrote: My wife likes her collection of wallpapers when she uses the HTPC as a PC - already thought of doing that approach. Looking for something more elegant.
Create 2 windows sessions : one for XBMC (with no wallpaper) and one for your wife (with collection of wallpapers).

Any chance to get a copy of the bat files? Trying to do something similar and would like to use this but the links no longer work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Close XBMC / Launch .exe / Restart XBMC?0