Playback lag with recommended hardware?
I've followed recommendations here and on other forums like avsforum and finally bought the following:

[gpu] GT430 (Asus GeForce ENGT430 DC Silent/DI/1GD3)
[cpu] G530 (Intel Celeron G530 2,4GHz Socket 1155 Box)
[mobo] H67 (Asus P8H67-I B3)

+less relevant hardware (64gb ssd, 4gb memory, ask for specifics if needed)

This build works fine, everything is smooth in windows, in the xbmc gui, video addon playback etc. However, during movie playback it sometimes starts to lag (once every 10 minutes or so) for a couple of seconds, it looks just as if the cpu was on full load, but when I put up the info I see the vcpu is on 0-5%. I have dxva2 enabled and I sync playback to display but not display refresh rate to match video.

Is this a common problem? Does it have to do with the hardware (and in that case, which one?) or with some setting?

Here is a screenshot of the info during a 25Mb/s scene:

Anything odd or that can be improved?
Where is your media stored? And how is it getting to the HTPC?
Kirky99 Wrote:Where is your media stored? And how is it getting to the HTPC?

It's on the HTPC, old sata drives... probably not defraged in quite some time, but that shouldn't be the problem since it's filled with few but large files
I don't think it's hardware.. i think it's a setting somewhere.

Sounds to me like something is trying to activate every 10 mins or so.. like a screen saver?
Virus scanner?

Hopefully Intel HD Graphics is turned off in the bios..

If you play the movie outside of XBMC do you get the same problem?
If yes, then it could be a driver (as in, get the latest drivers - mobo, sound, graphics etc.).

Is it all movies, or just one? Could be an encoding fault?

Hopefully gives you a few thought ideas.
I had stuttering with "Sync playback to display" each ~10 minutes. The audio was ok, but the video was sutttering heavily during maybe ~4 seconds. I also disabled almost everything in Catalyst control center.
Digital Vortex Wrote:I don't think it's hardware.. i think it's a setting somewhere.

Sounds to me like something is trying to activate every 10 mins or so.. like a screen saver?
Virus scanner?

Hopefully Intel HD Graphics is turned off in the bios..

If you play the movie outside of XBMC do you get the same problem?
If yes, then it could be a driver (as in, get the latest drivers - mobo, sound, graphics etc.).

Is it all movies, or just one? Could be an encoding fault?

Hopefully gives you a few thought ideas.

most or all movies, but thanks for the ideas, I'll investigate further Smile

Balinus Wrote:I had stuttering with "Sync playback to display" each ~10 minutes. The audio was ok, but the video was sutttering heavily during maybe ~4 seconds. I also disabled almost everything in Catalyst control center.

Disabling sync playback to display will probably lead to tearing though, wouldn't it? I think most settings in catalyst are set to use application settings by default, so xbmc controls most of it from what I understand.
which HDTV u have? LCD 120Hz?
Have you try to playback the same BD file with standalone MPC-HC? It's always a good idea to make sure that it can playback fluently with a standalone player before installing XBMC. It'll give you the confidence that your hardware and software on HTPC are fine.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I got stuttering with my GT520 and local file... could be something else.... switched off sync to display and clock timings and all now seems OK?!?!
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
eskro Wrote:which HDTV u have? LCD 120Hz?

It happens both on my Samsung LCD (can play 100Hz but I have it on lower) and my projector, so I don't think the display is the problem.

bluray Wrote:Have you try to playback the same BD file with standalone MPC-HC? It's always a good idea to make sure that it can playback fluently with a standalone player before installing XBMC. It'll give you the confidence that your hardware and software on HTPC are fine.

Should have done that from start, will try this as soon as my HTPC isn't occupied Tongue
reta Wrote:Disabling sync playback to display will probably lead to tearing though, wouldn't it? I think most settings in catalyst are set to use application settings by default, so xbmc controls most of it from what I understand.

I guess, but did you tried it?

Worked for me and baldmosher apparently and I get no tearing.
reta Wrote:<<Originally Posted by bluray
Have you try to playback the same BD file with standalone MPC-HC? It's always a good idea to make sure that it can playback fluently with a standalone player before installing XBMC. It'll give you the confidence that your hardware and software on HTPC are fine.
>>

Should have done that from start, will try this as soon as my HTPC isn't occupied Tongue
I highly recommend it before messing around with XBMC and other settings. Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback lag with recommended hardware?0