First attempt at XBMC - what PC to get?
Hello, I've become very interested in xbmc and have decided i think i want to get myself an acer Revo r3700 as a late xmas present. i want to
1. stream tv shows and movies (that i own) from my NAS via xbmc
2. watch freeview via catchup tv on xbmc
3. watch iplayer via xbmc
4. watch skygo/skyplayer via internet browser.

i see ebuyer uk has 4 flavours of revo varying in OS and RAM. prices go from £200-290. basically 2gb or 4gb of Ram and a choice of win7 and Linux (something called linpus). Also one the cheaper version has wired keyboard. not too bothered about the price but want value for money. might also get a remote.

I have read that the revo is no good for HD audio but i don't think this is a problem, i don't really know what it is. i will only listen in stereo via the TV for the foreseeable future.

What version best suits my needs? any other suggestions? is a mac mini complete overkill?

Thanks
Kolo
A mac mini is a nice PC but way too expensive for what you want.

HD audio is the sound formats that blu-ray discs have on them. If your only going to stereo you don't need the capability.

I use Windows 7 mainly because I don't want to mess around with command line for anything if I don't have to. If you don't mind Linux it will be cheaper. 4GB of RAM is better but not necessarily needed and will drive up the price.

What are you comfortable with?
thanks T800. someone has just told me that you need silverlight for skyplayer which means i have to go for windows over linux.

the cost of 2gb setup is 265, 4gb is 300. i can pay the extra but only if it will really make a difference. don't like to shell out for unnecessary items.

What do people think?
Shop around for the RAM, you should be able to get it cheaper.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First attempt at XBMC - what PC to get?0