3 different builds, which one to chose?
Long time lurker on the boards, finally settled on a few systems and I hope to narrow it down to one, with the help from you guys =)

I would prefer to use OpenElec or a linux build since bootup time is crucial.
However it seems as the A6 build would be limited to windows only? =(

Also I would say that im looking for a system in the Group #7 category (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=843683) and that I plan to use it as a XBMC/MythTV frontend in the future.

System #1:
CPU: AMD A6-3500
Mobo: ASUS ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3
GPU: AMD onboard HD6530
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG05BB-450 Mini-ITX

System #2:
CPU: Intel® Core i3-2100
Mobo: ASUS P8H67-I Deluxe B3, Socket-1155 mini-ITX
Ram: Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 4GB Kit w/2x 2GB
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3, "Passively Cooled"

System #3:
ASrock Vision 3D 137D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-HTPC-Visi...461&sr=8-2)
I like the 1st one, but I don't know about linux
NmEizzle Wrote:Long time lurker on the boards, finally settled on a few systems and I hope to narrow it down to one, with the help from you guys =)

I would prefer to use OpenElec or a linux build since bootup time is crucial.
However it seems as the A6 build would be limited to windows only? =
I'm not sure how fast do you want it to boot up. With this SSD (Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB) and proper configuration, it should be extremely fast with Windows 7. Smile

NmEizzle Wrote:Also I would say that im looking for a system in the Group #7 category (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=843683) and that I plan to use it as a XBMC/MythTV frontend in the future.

System #1:
CPU: AMD A6-3500
Mobo: ASUS ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3
GPU: AMD onboard HD6530

System #2:
CPU: Intel® Core i3-2100
Mobo: ASUS P8H67-I Deluxe B3, Socket-1155 mini-ITX
Ram: Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 4GB Kit w/2x 2GB
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3, "Passively Cooled"

System #3:
ASrock Vision 3D 137D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-HTPC-Visi...461&sr=8-2)
Both of these builds are great for Windows 7! If you want to use Linux, you might want to add Nvidia card instead.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The i3 is the most powerful so I would grab that, but if youre going to use linux I recommend a nvidia card... ati and intel hardware decoding is not as mature or stable as nvidia.

Quote:I would prefer to use OpenElec or a linux build since bootup time is crucial.

Have you thought about using suspend to ram? This allows the pc to turn on instantly and from what I just discovered from using a 'watt meter' is that the pc draws the same amount of power whether its suspended or off.
teeedubb Wrote:Have you thought about using suspend to ram? This allows the pc to turn on instantly and from what I just discovered from using a 'watt meter' is that the pc draws the same amount of power whether its suspended or off.

maybe something with your "watt meter" is wrong... power off is power off and consumes less energy then suspend. Do you run your car also at idle speed over night in your garage? no? why not?

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Watt_In...ndby_power
greetings, Stephan

teeedubb Wrote:The i3 is the most powerful so I would grab that, but if youre going to use linux I recommend a nvidia card... ati and intel hardware decoding is not as mature or stable as nvidia.
If you want to go Linux route, why waste money on the i3? It'll be fine with the lesser CPU. ATI GPU is very stable, but it is harder to configure on Linux. If it is Windows 7 HTPC, I recommend it over Nvidia GPU. In fact, I'm trying to get rid of my Nvidia GT430 due to macroblocking issue. It'll be replaced with ATI HD6450 or HD6570.

teeedubb Wrote:Have you thought about using suspend to ram? This allows the pc to turn on instantly and from what I just discovered from using a 'watt meter' is that the pc draws the same amount of power whether its suspended or off.
Something doesn't add up! :confused2:
all i can say is if you want to run OpenELEC,
u dont need powerful HTPC's like your 2 first choices...
i'd forget the #3 since i find it too pricey for what it is.

if i had to go openELEC tomorrow,
i'd go for a %100 silent 0dBa build like based on the
ZACATE FUSION platform specially since there's support
for it for awhile now and looks like its pretty stable as of today.

so get a miniITX ASUS FANLESS E350 motherboard
grab the ANTEC ISK-100 miniITX case
find the cheapest DDR3 1066Mhz 240pin Ram
get a 4GB Flash Drive

and enjoy openELEC.
Quoting the first line from the linked wikipedia article:

Quote:Standby power, informally called vampire or phantom power, refers to the electricity consumed by many appliances when they are switched off or in standby mode.

So whether the pc is off or suspended it uses the same amount of power. When you turn the power off at the wall switch or psu then it draws nothing.
I have a 1.8 gHz celeron driving 1080p with Nvidia. You do not need a fast CPU.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
teeedubb Wrote:Quoting the first line from the linked wikipedia article:
Standby power, informally called vampire or phantom power, refers to the electricity consumed by many appliances when they are switched off or in standby mode.
Are you talking about appliances or HTPC? Appliance don't have the same capability (CPU, software, etc) to control power sonsumption as HTPC. If you want to talk about appliance, you should be comparing the power usages when appliance is in use vs. when it is off (but digital timer/display is still on). It still use more power when you use it than when it is off. When it stay plug into the wall socket, it will consume some power to keep timer/display functions.

teeedubb Wrote:So whether the pc is off or suspended it uses the same amount of power. When you turn the power off at the wall switch or psu then it draws nothing.
Still confuse! :confused2: I'm not sure what you mean by suspended (is it idle or sleep?).

I did some tests with the old Dell E5xx at work several years ago, and here is the result:

1. In use- 110 watts
2. Sleep- 1.1 watts
3. Off- 0.6 watts (nearly nothing, and it is almost as good as un-plug from the wall).

My friend did some tests with his Mac, and this is what he told me:

1. Idle- 15 watts
2. Sleep- 1.5 watts
3. Off- 0.65 watts (again, as good as un-plug)
bluray Wrote:Still confuse! :confused2: I'm not sure what you mean by suspended (is it idle or sleep?).

I think you're confusing yourself... Suspend as is suspend to ram. Since when does suspending a pc equal leaving a pc to idle? I have not once mentioned anything about letting a pc idle...

bluray Wrote:I did some tests with the old Dell E5xx at work several years ago, and here is the result:

1. In use- 110 watts
2. Sleep- 1.1 watts
3. Off- 0.6 watts (nearly nothing, and it is almost as good as un-plug from the wall).

My friend did some tests with his Mac, and this is what he told me:

1. Idle- 15 watts
2. Sleep- 1.5 watts
3. Off- 0.65 watts (again, as good as un-plug)

My results on a i7 950 w/ 650w corsair psu were:
Off - 3.6w
Suspended - 4w

So using your measurement for 'as good as un-plug', suspend is as good as power off for me....
teeedubb Wrote:My results on a i7 950 w/ 650w corsair psu were:
Off - 3.6w
Suspended - 4w

So using your measurement for 'as good as un-plug', suspend is as good as power off for me....
That is fair, and Off is still consumed less than when it is suspended. 3.6 watts when it is Off is still nothing when compare to when it is in use. Where I live (in the S/W U.S), it is roughly $4.5/year.

Last time I checked, the max TDP for i7-950 is 130 watts. I'm not sure why you need 650 watts PSU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3 different builds, which one to chose?0