Black screen with audio when playing kid's new DVD
Howdy all,

New guy here, looking for some help (yeah, what’s new?). I’ve been running XBMC center on my home-brew HTPC since last spring, and loving it. So far, I’ve not had a hint of a problem with it . . . until now. I’ve found a DVD that won’t play, and I’d love some help figuring out why and how to fix it (if I can).

Long story short, my toddler just got a new Mickey Mouse’s Clubhouse DVD. I have my system set up to automatically run XBMC when a DVD is inserted in the drive, which it does. The DVD menu plays perfectly. When I select the “Play All” option, though, everything goes to hell in a handbasket. The screen goes black, and all I get is audio. The audio seems to be playing at the correct speed (from I can tell), but I have no video at all. In Debug mode, the counter shows 9 or so fps (ridiculously slow), but I’m seeing . . .0 fps. Blackness.

All of the other DVDs I have played in this machine work as they should. XBMC starts, I click “Play Disc”, and the video runs. No problems. So, would somebody more knowledgeable than me (which shouldn’t be hard) tell me why this DVD is different? I should note that the DVD plays properly using Windows Media Player, so it isn't a matter of some copy protection scheme making it unplayable in a Windows environment.

XBMC Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/bR8XHJNx

The DVD has the usual “Audio_TS” and “Video_TS” folders. The Audio_TS is empty, and the Video_TS folder contains a number of VOB files. I’ve included a MediaInfo file of the first large VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB). If I need MediaInfo on a different file, let me know and I’ll post it.

MediaInfo for VTS_01_1.VOB: http://pastebin.com/458WAZCa

HTPC Specs:
Hardware: Intel Core i3-550 under Noctua NH-U9B / GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V / 4GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 / Vapor-X HD5770 / 2TB WD Caviar Green OS Drive / 3x2TB WD Caviar Green Data Drives / XFX 650 XXX PSU / Silverstone LC-17 / Samsung 42” LCD TV (model LN40A550P3F)

Software: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, ATI Video Driver 8.850.0.0 (4/19/2011), ATI HDMI Audio, driver 6.0.1.6121 (5/24/2010), XBMC version 10.1 Git e9e9099 (Compiled Mar 8 2011), using Transparency! V3.11.7 skin

Thanks in advance for the help, and a hearty thanks to all who make XBMC such a great program

-Tuthmose

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen with audio when playing kid's new DVD0