HDMI booting problem
Hello guys, I sure hope I'm posting this in the correct area.

Well I got my hardware put together and I'm having a few problems getting my HTPC (hardly yet) and my TV to play nice together. If I boot the PC hooked up to my monitor (through hdmi) and then switch it over to the TV once booted, I get a picture. If I shut down the PC, it will not boot again with the TV. I don't even get the POST beeps out of the PC. Sad

Current htpc hardware:
sandy bridge I3
MSI motherboard H67 chipset
ATI HD6570 GPU
Windows 7

My TV is an older JVC with a single HDMI input

I'm also running it through an AV receiver (onkyo TX-NR809)

The AVR has dual HDMI outputs that I can switch between that is helping me troubleshoot this problem. It seems that the PC is looking for some handshaking via HDMI during bootup. Is there something I can turn off in the setting that will prevent this from happening? Google has turned up some results with a how to for an EDID over ride...is this the tree that I need to be barking up?

Thanks in advance,
Luke
Did you do these HD6570-->Onkyo-->JVC via two HDMI cables and set Onkyo to pass-through video?

If you did the above and it still doesn't work, you're having EDID issue with your old JVC.

Some people install an hdmi/hdcp compliant switch between the AVR and HDTV to fix EDID issue. These swithces might do the trick- Mediabridge - 3 Port Mini Smart HDMI Switch or 5X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
yeah, I hooked it up exactly how you mentioned. i've set the hdmi settings on the onkyo to every available option.

hd6570 - onkyo - dell monitor works fine
hd6570 - onkyo - Jvc tv does not...until after it's booted up

Has anyone tried the software solution for EDID over ride? like discussed in this thread
I did some more experimenting:

cable strait from hd6570 to TV, pc will not boot
cable strait from hd6570 to dell monitor, boots no problem
nothing plugged into hd6570, boots fine

cable plugged from onboard hdmi to tv, boots but no picture
cable plugged from onboard hdmi to monitor, boots but no picture
VFRLuke Wrote:cable strait from hd6570 to TV, pc will not boot
There must something wrong with your old JVC HDMI TV. I don't think there is anything wrong with your HTPC and HD6570 GPU. If you haven't update the latest AMD driver for your HD6570, you download it from- Graphics Drivers & Software.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:There must something wrong with your old JVC HDMI TV. I don't think there is anything wrong with your HTPC and HD6570 GPU. If you haven't update the latest AMD driver for your HD6570, you download it from- Graphics Drivers & Software.

First thing I did after installing the OS.

I'm sure it's something with the TV...just trying to find a workaround other than buying a new tv.

I wonder if an HDMI detective would fix this. I would sure hate to buy one and not have it solve the problem.
I ended up playing around in the bios settings and turned on something for using both video devices, and I turned off the splash screen.

One or the other has solved the problem, seems to boot just fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions guysSmile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI booting problem0