Fastest way to convert 200+ DVD rips?
boccman Wrote:I use Xilisoft HD Video Converter (you have to pay for it). Its very simple and converts almost any video type and it does it pretty fast. I am doing the converting on an old Dell that i have and it takes a little less than minute for minute to do the converting.

I just downloaded xilisoft and it tells me I can add insividual files or a folder.

If I want to convert video directly from a dvd, i assume i would add a folder and then point it to the video_ts folder.

problem is that when i do that, it doesn't seem to add the video.

am i doing something wrong? how do you usually go about pulling the video right from the dvd?
bdee1 Wrote:If I want to convert video directly from a dvd, i assume i would add a folder and then point it to the video_ts folder.
I found out that it is much faster by ripping DVD to local hard drive first before converting it.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
i tried ripping the dvd to the desktop first and still after ripping, when i try to point xilisoft to the video_TS folder on the desktop (adding a folder instead of a file) it didn't add any videos to convert....

with dvdfab, it lets me add a folder but then it makes you choose which vob files to convert. I am not sure which ones are the right ones. If i choose all of them, will it just convert them all into a single file?
Staxrip
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Are you guys aware that almost all of those, Video Converters use the exact same compression engine as Handbrake? Usually, any perceived speed increase comes at the cost of quality as driven by params sent the x264 libs.

I'd highly recommend spending a bit of time learning a little more about x264 and doing things the right way; Being educated about the tradeoffs rather than paying for a (not so) magical, one-click solution that you'll regret using down the road.
oo_void Wrote:Are you guys aware that almost all of those, Video Converters use the exact same compression engine as Handbrake? Usually, any perceived speed increase comes at the cost of quality as driven by params sent the x264 libs.

I'd highly recommend spending a bit of time learning a little more about x264 and doing things the right way; Being educated about the tradeoffs rather than paying for a (not so) magical, one-click solution that you'll regret using down the road.
We knew that...as I mentioned in this forum several times. DVDFab is setup for speed, but it is not necessary that it is better quality. As I mentioned many times, Handbrake is among the best quality but it is among the slowest!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I know the original name for this is thread "Fastest way to Rip 200+ DVD Rips".
But what I'm not sure about is why he's even bothering.

For the Record -
I have a Dual Core AMD Athlon x64 x2 5000+ and can rip a DVD and convert it to a 2 Pass VBR XviD avi using 'AutoGK' in under 2 hours no problem - Graphics card helps here too and to be fair, mine is only a ATI Radeon HD 3850 512Mb. Your system should be just as good, if not better.

However...
If he has trouble streaming from his NAS to his ATV2, is it not a Network speed problem?

Streaming a 4GB Full DVD ISO to an ATV2 should play perfectly seeing as I've been streaming 8Gb HD MKV's for months without an issue - shouldn't it? And if it's actual DVD-RIPs your streaming you have serious problems as they should be a breeze.

FTPing media to the ATV2 is a bad idea. How many movies is it going to hold... 1? maybe 2 max?!!

I was having buffering issues until I found out my network was only running at 10Mbps.
Changed my faulty LAN cable and it went back to 100Mbps (the standard) and now it's buzzing along no problem - using SMB no less!! Smile
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
bdee1 Wrote:Two questions. 1: how do I convert a videots folder to an ISO? And 2: how do I copy the ISO to local atv2 memory? Would t I just play the ISO from my nas?

1. If DVD Dycrypter (the newest version is DVD Fab) doesn't do what you want try DVD Shrink.

2. You just play them off your NAS/computer. You would not fit more than 1 whole DVD onto the ATV2 itself.
DejaVu Wrote:Streaming a 4GB Full DVD ISO to an ATV2 should play perfectly seeing as I've been streaming 8Gb HD MKV's for months without an issue - shouldn't it? And if it's actual DVD-RIPs your streaming you have serious problems as they should be a breeze.

First, Handbrake is only slower because the presets you're using are probably providing a higher quality encode. Like I said, it's the same code doing the encode with almost all these packages; Learn about what's being passed to the x264 libs to know whether it's worth the speed increase. The only advantage one package offers over another is the underlying workflow -- Identifying the main stream, trimming, de-CSSing, etc (which Handbrake does quite well).

I think the problem is that the ATV2 doesn't play nice with MPEG-2 content (i.e. DVD ISO's). It's designed only to accelerate decoding of .h264 streams.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fastest way to convert 200+ DVD rips?0