ZBOX-AD02-U + Linux: To Boldly Go Where Some Have Gone Before...
Lightbulb 
Hey all, I'm new here. My roommate has an Acer Aspire Revo running XBMCLive, and it's awesome.

My turn...

I've been researching, and I understand there are some kinks yet to be worked out for XBMC in Linux on the AMD Fusion platform, but my reading suggests that OpenELEC has come a long way. There is a Fusion-specific build now. Considering also that the current PulseBox runs on the Fusion platform with an E-350, and PulseOS is freely available, I am going to give it a shot. (Not on the PulseBox, though.)

I ordered:
Zotac ZBOX-AD02-U from J&R for $217 (shipped), after FWB discount and this $15 off $150 promo code.
OCZ Onyx Series OCZSSD2-1ONX32G 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $60 - $10 - $10 = $40, after this promo code, and the $10 MIR.

I'm going to use one or two 2GB SO-DIMMs that I have lying around.

(Google shopping shows similar prices on the ZBOX at a few other vendors, but I've not used them before.)

I plan to try PulseOS first. If I have trouble, maybe I will try a nightly OpenELEC Fusion build. (I guess now I have to report back, eh? It'll probably be a week or so until it arrives, though.)
i beleive it should be stable for the most part.
So, I've got it up and running with OpenELEC development builds (currently 20120122164134-r9616 / XBMC 11.0-BETA2 Git:f76c547 (Compiled: Jan 21, 2012)).

It's quite good. I played with some of the video settings, certain ones seemed to help (I don't recall which, but I did get some ideas from this thread.) It's definitely very watchable, but not perfect yet. I see an occasional artifact or jerky motion, but the "o" keypress shows no dropped frames. I don't think I'll bother trying to perfect the playback before Eden stable is out, b/c it's good enough for now. (Also, playback seems to improve after the machine is left on for a while. Odd.)

I've had a very few crashes. Tolerable, for now.

I wanted to give a follow-up, but I guess any additional troubleshooting / configuration issues belong in other sub-forums, so...off I go. Smile

Thanks to eskro for his input & stickies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ZBOX-AD02-U + Linux: To Boldly Go Where Some Have Gone Before...0