Mac Mini as a HTPC
I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini to use as a HTPC using XBMC. Does anyone have this set up? If so how is it working out for you?
I have the base model and upgrade the RAM to 8gb. I have XBMC and Plex (for iOS device stream) configured on my mini.
I used it as my second HTPC since it's on my master room. I never shut it down and do all the download with it.

As far as HTPC I have no complain with my setup, it runs XBMC very lean (Eden Beta 1 Installed). it plays 1080p with out problems. Audio I have it connected via analog out (Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX Certified Speakers) and Video is connected via HDMI to DVI port to my Acer B243HL LED and for keyboard, mouse & remote control I used my Logitech Dinovo Mini and iOS devices.

Hello Gzapr,
Can you please provide information about the temperatures of Mac Mini while idle and while reproducing 1080p?

Additionally how quite is during playback? I have read various posts about temperatures reaching up to 90 degrees Celcius.

Thank you in advance
dkaris Wrote:Hello Gzapr,
Can you please provide information about the temperatures of Mac Mini while idle and while reproducing 1080p?

Additionally how quite is during playback? I have read various posts about temperatures reaching up to 90 degrees Celcius.

Thank you in advance

I'm running dharma on a mini.
The mini runs 24x7 and we sleep in the room with it.

uname -a
Darwin macmini2 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

If you can tell me how to extract that information from the command line, I'll be happy to share. I'm more familiar with linux than I am bsd.

We have the mini connected via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver that is connected to a 46" Mitsubishi LCD.

We mostly watch DVDs ripped to ISO images, but I have recently created some mkv rips of bluray disks.

We store media on a linux based file server in a separate room, and exported via NFS over 1GB network to every room in the house.

Even with the DVD rips we get annoying stutter and jitter during playback, and weird issues with navigation but only on some DVDs. I think the navigation issues are due to the way the DVDs were ripped.

I'd MUCH rather run xbmc on a linux box, but this one sits in the master bedroom and has to be as simple and reliable and as easy as possible.
The remote is still a big issue for the wife.
Well I haven't had problems with stutter and jitter during playback of this file formats: m2ts, mkv & avi. I don't have ISO on my NAS to test. I have also gigabit Cat 6 wire network for my SMB NAS, the mini & my Asus HTPC.

As far as Temp it does get a bit hot to the hand and the fans if you paid close attention to them, you could heard it. I have it since Oct 2011 and only once has heard the fans and it was because I was next to mini. I'm not concern with temp on the mini, even do I'm on the Caribbeans since it's on my bed room and when I watch something the AC is on and it feels warm to the hand not hot.

Sorry I haven't monitor the temp in grades. any app to do it?

Hello Gzapr,
Thank you for the info....as for the application to monitor temperatures for the Mini, you can search for iStat (http://www.islayer.com/apps/)

Thanks again
yeah i have been just thinking about getting one and upgrading the ram in it to use as a HTPC. i was thinking about building one, but these Mini's are just so sleek. plus they have the IR already built in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini as a HTPC0